o
hardy

Posted by steilberg 6 lou,KY (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 21:15

any known hardy bromeliad?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardy

Most bromleiads are hardy under the right conditions. Are wanting cold hardy ones?

o

If you mean COLD hardy, the cold hardiest is Spanish Moss (Tillandsia usneoides). Hardy to 8, maybe 7. I have managed to overwinter several large clumps under an island planting of Eastern Hemlocks. Believe it or not, it survived outside but they really seem to hate indoor life over winter! Have not succeeded as an indoor plant.

o

Im in zone 7b and I only have my bromeliads outside in the summer. I keep them as houseplants, however, this is my first year growing them outside on my porch. I'm going to bring them in when the low is below 65. They hate being chilly.

o

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 19:02

Tropiflora has a list of bromeliads which will handle the low 20's

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold hardy list

o

Many Neo's are hardy to 40 degrees with north wind protection..Aechmea are hit and miss...they like sun but no cold for many of them. What genera are you interested in growing?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here