Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rot on one leaf of pup

Posted by ivywin none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 21:28

So I have this pretty large pup still attached to the mother it has 8 leaves and the length of the leaves are as long as the mothers but the base is half the size of the mothers base. Ever since one of its leaves has grown it has had this brown dot looked like it had an injury and hadn't completely healed but I don't really know. Just today I noticed that around the brown dot it has started to rot. Not very big its about half the size of a pinky finger. I was wondering should I cut off the rot? Will it effect the rest of the leaf/plant if I don't cut it off? Will I harm the leaf/plant if I do cut it off? Is there anything else I can do? Thanks so much everyone

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rot on one leaf of pup

Split the leaf down the middle and pull to the sides and it will come off cleanly.
No harm will be done to the plant.
Sounds like it is big enough to come off and be potted.

o
RE: rot on one leaf of pup

If the spot is old, dry, and high up on the leaf, it will not harm the plant whatsoever. No need to remove the whole leaf. If it's unattractive you can trim or remove it depending on your preference.

Rotting spots that are damp and close to the base should be removed with prejudice to prevent the rot from spreading. Cut them out or remove the whole leaf, and treat with fungicide.

If your pup has long skinny leaves the plant is not getting enough light or too much fertilizer or both.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here