Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivywin

mother bromeliad dieing with pup attached

ivywin
9 years ago

I have owned a bromeliad for a couple years now and the first of my bromeliads is dieing. It has produced 5 pups but sadly the first four died. I don't know what I did wrong but I cut the pups off their mother when they were between 1/3 to half of the moms size as close to the mothers base as I could without hurting the mother. All four seemed to be just fine for quite a few months but for some reason they weren't growing at all. After about seven months all four of them died. I now have a fifth pup! I have let this one stay on the mother for a very long time hopeing that it would help it so it wouldnt have the same tragic death of its siblings. It is now about the size of the mother with the leaf length but the base is half the size of the mother and it has 8 visible leafs and more to come. I water its mother probably every 5 days. The humidity is where it is supposed to be but it doesn't have as much sunlight as it needs.. the mother life is almost over it has 6 leafs left with three of them turning almost completely brown. It takes about a day and a half for a whole leaf to die so a very short time. I was wondering what I should do with the pup to get it ready for providing food for itself. Should I cut it off the mother now before the mother is completely dead, should I start watering the pups cup so it isn't such a surprise when the mom is gone? If I leave the pup on the mom how should I remove the mother once it is dead? What should I do differently so this one will grow survive thrive and hopefully have pups of its own? Thank you so much for your time you guys are awesome! Thanks again!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions