Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mother bromeliad dieing with pup attached

Posted by ivywin none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 21:37

I have owned a bromeliad for a couple years now and the first of my bromeliads is dieing. It has produced 5 pups but sadly the first four died. I don't know what I did wrong but I cut the pups off their mother when they were between 1/3 to half of the moms size as close to the mothers base as I could without hurting the mother. All four seemed to be just fine for quite a few months but for some reason they weren't growing at all. After about seven months all four of them died. I now have a fifth pup! I have let this one stay on the mother for a very long time hopeing that it would help it so it wouldnt have the same tragic death of its siblings. It is now about the size of the mother with the leaf length but the base is half the size of the mother and it has 8 visible leafs and more to come. I water its mother probably every 5 days. The humidity is where it is supposed to be but it doesn't have as much sunlight as it needs.. the mother life is almost over it has 6 leafs left with three of them turning almost completely brown. It takes about a day and a half for a whole leaf to die so a very short time. I was wondering what I should do with the pup to get it ready for providing food for itself. Should I cut it off the mother now before the mother is completely dead, should I start watering the pups cup so it isn't such a surprise when the mom is gone? If I leave the pup on the mom how should I remove the mother once it is dead? What should I do differently so this one will grow survive thrive and hopefully have pups of its own? Thank you so much for your time you guys are awesome! Thanks again!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mother bromeliad dieing with pup attached

I don't usually cut my pups off preferring to pull them off. Put your thumb between the plants and slowly pull down. By cutting and trying not to damage the mum, you may not have cut in far enough to get the heel. Without this most will die.
Your pup should have its own roots so just pot it up in an open mix with a small amount of fertiliser, water in the cup and water the mix when needed.
Put a bit of fertiliser around mums pot and you may be lucky to get more pups.
Water in the pups while still on mum is beneficial.

o

One important thing about removing is "what bromeliad" are you growing? Each genera is different. You have a photo?

o
Another option

Also you could elect to trim the mom back as she declines and leave the pup alone. Less chance of lossing the pup. Pup will become mom to other pups.

o

So I'm new to this so I don't know how to post pictures. The bromeliad I have is/was a dark green with a dark pink middle. The green leaves have a lighter color outlining the green and the leaves have little spikes. Thanks everyone for your help!

o

So I'm new to this so I don't know how to post pictures. The bromeliad I have is/was a dark green with a dark pink middle. The green leaves have a lighter color outlining the green and the leaves have little spikes. Thanks everyone for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here