Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graykiwi

Neo. with a trunk

graykiwi
13 years ago

Hi all, a bit quiet lately so thought I would post a few pics from our monthly NZ society meeting on Tuesday night.

This Neo. Hybrid below was bought in my a member to talk about as part of a "my favourite plant" session we have started, where members can bring in a plant or two and give a quick talk about them. It was labelled Neo. tristis x johannis Rubra and was reported as possibly up to 20 years old and has never flowered !!

{{gwi:481947}}

The trunk was a good foot high above the pot and around 1.5 inches diameter. I'm pretty sure johannis Rubra is now identified as something else (not sure of name...anyone ??), but it was commonly used with hybrids in the early days.

{{gwi:481948}}

It has had numerous pups over the years, with some interestingly coming from the very base (as shown in this case), but also in various spots up the stem. I thought it looked fantastic, the photo doesn't really do it justice.

Anyone got any other "Neo trunkers" out there ?...We know 'Burnsie's Spiral' and 'Purple Wave' do it...anyone got anything else to show ?

The following Vrieseas were also on show in the competition section, two very nice new hybrids from the Kiwi stable...

{{gwi:481949}}

Vr. 'Solar Flare' (another compact plant with wide leaves that I believe will go quite white in colour in high light)

{{gwi:481950}}

Vr. 'Tasman Hybrid' (unamed as yet with a nice peach/pink flush in the inner leaves, it looked very nice.)...There were a couple of other nice ones there too...a bugger when your battery goes flat !

Cheers

Graeme

Comments (12)

• marleneann
    13 years ago

Oh!... just love those Vrieseas.

• matt15
    13 years ago

Those Vr.'s are gorgeous Graeme and the Neo. Trunk is both different and appealing.

I also like the idea of a society "my favourite plant" session. Thx for sharing.

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi graykiwi,

What a great idea "My favourite plant" is to kick start discussions at brom. meetings, I must suggest we start that type of thing at our meetings.

The Neo. is certainly a great talking piece and the two Vrieseas are really something special.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

All the best, Nev.

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Graeme, in Hawaii we often have Neos that go for years without blooming or pupping, and eventually form tall trunks. Several of mine are currently doing that, but I'm kind of surprised to see that in NZ. I thought your more temperate climate forced everything into bloom in the spring.

Those are indeed another couple of spectacular Vrieseas!

• gonzer_gw
    13 years ago

We've got to figure out a solution to these import/export restrictions. The Vrieseas from Down Under and Over are exquisite!

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Very nice Vrieseas , i can admire those ,Gonzer the only way to fix the import / export restrictions is to educate the various quaranteen departments etc ,and that would be like pushing a car uphill with a piece of string .
    Jack

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi Graeme,

That Neo is certainly interesting to see and spectacular in its own way, and those Vrieseas are beauties. Thanks for sharing them.

Jack, just love the string thing - must save that one up.

Cheers, Paul

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Jack, there are export restrictions on non-native plants?

• graykiwi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi All...thanks for the nice comments.
    Gonz, I'm pretty sure we can send these Vrieseas OUT of NZ, just getting stuff INTO here is the problem !! You will all just have to come to our "Cool Broms" Australasian Conference in Auckland (March 2013) and make your selections !! ;-)
    Cheers
    Graeme

• jaga
    13 years ago

Nice pic Graeme. The 'stalk' neo is interesting, did the owner say where they had it growing ? we were not at the last meeting so good to see these. Your in charge to do this each month now, make sure your batts are charged.

• graykiwi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi J/A...Pretty sure she said that Neo is just outside amongst all the others in the garden - and part of a family of them that have had the same habit over many years. Yes, I will charge my camera next time haha...are you guys in Malaysia at the mo?...Was going to tell you my Vr. 'Cherry Snow' is about to flower in case you want to use it for crossing or pollen ?

• jaga
    13 years ago

Got info out off PC today on the stalk Neo, would be interesting to try force flowering it or a move to shade for winter then back into the full sun for summer all very unusual for NZ anyway. Shall we cross 'Cherry snow' with 'Cherry snow' as also have one sending up a stalk, yours may be ahead of ours, maybe email us. Ps you can have the seed back to grow.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions