Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sid_marx_gw

Shade house advice sought

sid_marx
13 years ago

Hi Folks, I am currently in the process of building a shade house and was looking for some advice with respect to bench arrangement.

Some details about the setup:

I am in the southern hemisphere.

The shade house is located on a gentle slope abutting a painted wooden retaining wall on the south and a concrete retaining wall on the west, meaning it is partially dug-in to the hillside.

It is open to the east and the north (where the sun comes in)

Floor area is 4.8m (15 1/2 ft) x 5.5m (18 ft)

The roof is about 2.8m (9 ft) above the ground and will be covered with a woven plastic greenhouse film with a rating of 84% light transmittance - so may require a little further light control with shade cloth in summer.

I grow mainly fairly sun-hardy bromeliads - mostly Neos.

The benches will be constructed of galvanized wire frames that are 2m (6 ft) long x 60cm (2 ft) wide.

My question is whether I can make use of a multi-tiered arrangement. I was thinking about stacking the benches vertically - first tier would be about 40cm (16 in) off the ground, next at 1.4m (4 1/2 ft), the last would hang about 60cm (2 ft) below the ceiling.

Is this too much vertical stacking?

Comments (10)

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi Sid,

I could see that working OK along the southern wall, but if you have stacked benches in front(ie to the north) of that, won't that give heavy shading to the plants behind, especially during winter when you want to maximise light?

Cheers, Paul

• sid_marx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Paul, That is good thinking. I guess I am guilty of wanting to stuff as many of those suckers in there as possible. I need to think quality not quantity. Thanks for the tip!

• graykiwi
    13 years ago

Sid,

I agree with Paul, you could make 3 tiers on the South and West walls, but I would only go with 1 lower bench on the north and east. I would also suggest make the middle and top teirs only say 1 foot wide, otherwise the lower benches will receive too much shade in summer. Also be mindfull of the top teir being too lose to the roof, I've found some plants can't hack the heat/light up there in summer, so you may need to run black cloth behind it to cut down reflection. That's what I've found anyway in NZ with my set-up, which is quite similar to yours. Also, remember most of the light entering (April-October) will depend on what you are using for the walls too ? Are you putting shadecloth, windbreak or panelling on the east & north sides ??

Good luck !
    Graeme

• dooleybugs01
    13 years ago

Hi Sid This would work but if you do this you need to keep and eye out for fungus diseases because if the ones at the top get it then the fungus may spread thru watering down to the ones below. I have just the one level of benching and a couple wires running across the greenhouse so i can hang broms onto. Also i have a sheet of shadecloth with rings at the top (like a curtain) on a wire I can slide across during the afternoon sun during summer. Might be an option for you?
    Dooley.

• sid_marx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Graeme and Dooley. I do intend to put 3 tiers against the southern and western walls and the rest of the benches will be single tier and fairly uniform in height. I am fortunate that the land slopes in the right direction in relation to the sun, so those in the north eastern corner will be lower than those at the south western. I want plenty of options for hanging from any point off the ceiling so I'm considering hangining galvanized wire fencing between the rafters. I plan to use just the film on the roof in winter and put detachable shadecloth sides on the eastern and northern sides plus the top in summer. I'll watch for fungus - I always have a mister of fungicide/algaecide on hand!

• graykiwi
    13 years ago

In case you weren't aware...(this has caught many out before now)...Make sure you paint your rafters 2-3 thick coats of acrylic enamel if they are treated timber ?!..You don't want water drips from the timber or any screws/nails holes etc onto any broms below.

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'll just put in my two bobs worth now. Sid you say the benches will be of galvanised wire frames.

If you plan on stacking them on top of each other in a tiered effect, be aware that drips from new galvanised metal will cause damage to plants in a similar manner to CCA treated timber.

Older galvanised material seems OK, but better to give them a gouple of good coats of a quality paint first. (Vriesea could suggest what type as he's the painter not I) But I have found the easiest way to paint them is with a roller from each side.

All the best, Nev.

• sid_marx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the warnings about the treated timber and the new galv Graeme and Nev. I am using recycled wire frames that have been in an orchid grower's greenhouse for many years.

I've used the same ones for stacked benches in my little glasshouse for 8-9 months and now worries at this point, so I reckon I'm safe. Still it makes me reconsider the idea of stringing fencing wire between the rafters for hanging plants off.

The wood I used for framing up the shadehouse is untreated macrocarpa as I have read a number of horror stories in various bromeliad publications by people who unwitingly poisoned their plants with treated pine - yikes!

• rickta66
    13 years ago

I have recently built a similar sized greenhouse, I was planning to heavilly tier but have decided to go with just two sides.

I'm swinging towards more hanging pots in my greenhouse, I've seen a few growers over here using barbed wire to hang the pots - it stops the hangers from sliding along the wire providing it is above head height.

The use of vertical hanging off poles with wire supports looks like another good option that has been shown by a few gardenwebbers.

Rick

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County
More Discussions