Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdandy

A couple of ID requests

sdandy
13 years ago

Hello guys,

I've come across a couple of unknown bloomers in the garden I volunteer in at the zoo. Anyone recognize these?

{{gwi:482586}}

{{gwi:482587}}

{{gwi:482588}}

And the second one:

{{gwi:482589}}

{{gwi:482590}}

And also, our Aechmea floribunda is coming into bloom. I love how huge this plant it. Unfortunately we had to trim some of the leaf tips so they are a tad bit shorter than they should be. I am definitely going to try to pollinate this bugger...

{{gwi:482591}}

Comments (9)

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Andy, the first one is most likely Portea petropolitana v. extensa. Presumably it will get more color as it opens up more.

The second looks like Neo cruenta, but the growth seems rather distorted, like it bloomed before it got much foliage on it.

That Ae. floribunda is definitely impressive! Let me know if you get seed set. ;-)

• pinkbroms
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa

That second plant looks like it has white petals not purple, which leans me toward Neo. richteri, otherwise I would have said Neo. Monstrosus needing to be moved to a more sunny position to bring the colour out.

Pinkbroms

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Do you have any pictures of N. richteri in bloom, PB? The FCBS ones don't show much, but I agree that several things don't look quite right for cruenta/Monstrosus, including the petal color.

• sdandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a pup from it growing in much better light. It hasn't grown much so I can't say for sure, but the leaves are very long and narrow. Until it bloomed we just assumed it was an Aechmea.

• brodklop
    13 years ago

Andy, that Ae. floribunda looks fantastic. Hope you have success with pollinating. I'm on a collection binge of the old Streptocaylix genus. This is one I'm after. I'm not sure if anyone has this in Australia. If there is can they let me know if pups or seed is available.

All the best

Brod

• pinkbroms
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa

No I don't have any other photo's, only the Bot. descriptions, the photo's on FCBS show lilac tipped petals when the Bot. desc. says white, so???, need to do some butchering to be sure.

Pinkbroms

• rickta66
    13 years ago

Brod,

Ae. floribunda is in Aus, you could possibly get one from John Catlin at Jacobs Well - He has a photo on FCBS of Hohenbergia salzmannii which is what it used to be called.

Rick

• brodklop
    13 years ago

Rick,

Thanks for the tip on Ae. floribunda. Yes it has had a few names over the the ages, including Streptocalyx floribundus.
    Do you go to the brom society meetings at New Farm. I might see you there if you go.

Brod

• rickta66
    13 years ago

Andy,

Sorry for side tracking your thread.

Brod,

I should be there, it would be good to meet.

Cheers,

Rick

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz
More Discussions