Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cryptanthus beuckeri

Posted by patusho25 z11 Mexico (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 08 at 22:44

Im having trouble with this plant since its very hot and dry most of the time. Its in a shady spot. Does anybody know if this plant is doable in this particular enviroment (tropical semi-arid)?. It hasnt done much since transplanted to that sandy loam growing media, perhpas its too heavy for this plant?. Is this plant slow/very slow growing?.

Heres the hostage. lol. Its two (healthy) growing points but you can see the rest of the plant.

Photobucket

Photobucket

cheerios.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cryptanthus beuckeri

It needs rich humus soil and dont let it dry out

o

Let it go and nobody gets hurt, Patusho!

This is one of the more difficult Crypts to grow. It is very slow and also rather delicate. It likes shade and high humidity, and I'd give it a different type of soil mix, something with a lot of peat or sphagnum moss, rather than the sandy loam. Keep it moist, but not sitting in water.

I don't know what you can do about your dry air, maybe place the pot on a pebble tray? Even in my humid tropical conditions shaded underneath the greenhouse benches it just barely stays alive, and doesn't ever increase in size. If anybody knows the secret to making this one thrive, let's hear it!

o

barely stays alive in your climate, lisa?!?! LOL. Im hopeless with this one then. =( Hope it survives the transplanting process. thank you both. will seek an appropiate growing media.

o

Expert grower I know in sub-tropical Bundaberg has tried a few times and given up . It is a very tropical species .

o

Hi guys! (^_^)

You won't be surprise if you find they grow like a weed here!
But...in deep shade with high humid of some place like a fern house.

I use one part coconut husk and one part loam with best result.

Photobucket

o

VERY nice plants, chanin, ace grown. will give it that mix. thank you. take out your notebook lisa. =D

aroideana, interesting (or perhaps you already know about my latitude) that Bundaberg is at the same latitude as where my city is but Im in the northern hemisphere, and twice inland. glad Im not an expert or Id fail with the beuckeri!!!. LOL Will give it a couple shots if this one dies. >=D

thank you all. cheers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here