Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankie22_gw

aechmea Foster.s Favorite Favorite ?

frankie22
13 years ago

Hello, I want someone to confirm this name for that plant. I also have another name; Aechmea fulgens var discolor albo-marginata roseo-lineata !

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:483334}}

Comments (11)

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

I'd go with the second one, although I've never heard the roseo-lineata part. FFF is a more tubular plant with a sparse, pendant inflorescence. Yours is typical of Ae. fulgens in flower and form.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:483335}}

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Hi Frankie ,Lisa is correct ,its Ae fulgens var Discolor ,and as she said ,never heard of the Roseo -liniate bit either , Ae FFF is very different in growth and flower spike .

• frankie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, it's not FFF. We have also a albo-marginata but no red-pink. I'm confused with these two. I will send you a pic of the second one. May be it's not a discolor variety.

• frankie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is the picture i took for Aechmea fulgens var. discolor 'Albomarginata'

Here is a link that might be useful: Aechmea fulgens var. discolor 'Albomarginata'

• frankie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The name is good ?

Here is a link that might be useful: Aechmea fulgens var. discolor 'Albomarginata' ?

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

I have that last one, I had to go check the tag. It says: "AE. MINIATA DISCOLOR ROSEALINIATA ALBOMARGINATED". That's just as it is written, I'm not sure if it is correct, or spelled correctly (probably not), or if anything other than the genus should be capitalized, since it doesn't say cv. or var. on the tag.

So I guess I lied when I said I'd never heard the roseo-lineata part. I'd just forgotten it, although this is apparently miniata and not fulgens. At least that's my excuse. ;-)

• frankie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{gwi:483336}}

{{gwi:483337}}

I though that this second pic is Aechmea fulgens var. discolor 'Albomarginata Rosea-Lineata' ! I'm a little bit confused here...

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

You and me both, Frankie!

As you can see, however, the first of the pics just above does have red lineation, and a more miniata shaped inflo.

The second one looks like an albomarginated form of fulgens v. discolor, but I'm not seeing anything that would give it the name "rosea-lineata". Sounds like label confusion.

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

A Sport of 'Electrica' also nick named also as 'Roseo- Lineata'. The plant also had an odd habit of the flower mutating and showing odd forms. It could have also sported off a variegate form.

• pinkbroms
    13 years ago

Hi Guys

Don't forget the Roseo-Lineata is but a Nursery naming or a made up bit of describing their plant by a collector as it has no botanical or taxonomical meaning, in other words drop it from your label.
    Apparently it appears as though most of the variegated plants in the fulgens/miniata group are HYBRIDS, look to Ae. Reginald etc.

Frankie I still have your plant in 2nd photo tagged as Ae. fulgens var. discolor variegated, that's the pinker of your 2 plants. That 2nd plant is also variegated not Albo. it has stripes in the leaf other than the white edges.

Pinkbroms

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Yep I am with you on that Ross ,thats how I have always known it ,occasionally you can get a distinct Albo marginate pup ,but its not stable ,
    Jack

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions