Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
aechmea Foster.s Favorite Favorite ?

Posted by frankie22 mtl,canada 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 4, 10 at 0:20

Hello, I want someone to confirm this name for that plant. I also have another name; Aechmea fulgens var discolor albo-marginata roseo-lineata !

Here is a link that might be useful: http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/6928/2509071510060500591S425x425Q85.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: aechmea Foster.s Favorite Favorite ?

I'd go with the second one, although I've never heard the roseo-lineata part. FFF is a more tubular plant with a sparse, pendant inflorescence. Yours is typical of Ae. fulgens in flower and form.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ae. Foster's Favorite Favorite

o

Hi Frankie ,Lisa is correct ,its Ae fulgens var Discolor ,and as she said ,never heard of the Roseo -liniate bit either , Ae FFF is very different in growth and flower spike .

o

OK, it's not FFF. We have also a albo-marginata but no red-pink. I'm confused with these two. I will send you a pic of the second one. May be it's not a discolor variety.

o

Here is the picture i took for Aechmea fulgens var. discolor 'Albomarginata'

Here is a link that might be useful: Aechmea fulgens var. discolor 'Albomarginata'

o

The name is good ?

Here is a link that might be useful: Aechmea fulgens var. discolor 'Albomarginata' ?

o

I have that last one, I had to go check the tag. It says: "AE. MINIATA DISCOLOR ROSEALINIATA ALBOMARGINATED". That's just as it is written, I'm not sure if it is correct, or spelled correctly (probably not), or if anything other than the genus should be capitalized, since it doesn't say cv. or var. on the tag.

So I guess I lied when I said I'd never heard the roseo-lineata part. I'd just forgotten it, although this is apparently miniata and not fulgens. At least that's my excuse. ;-)

o

aechmea

aechmea

I though that this second pic is Aechmea fulgens var. discolor 'Albomarginata Rosea-Lineata' ! I'm a little bit confused here...

o

You and me both, Frankie!

As you can see, however, the first of the pics just above does have red lineation, and a more miniata shaped inflo.

The second one looks like an albomarginated form of fulgens v. discolor, but I'm not seeing anything that would give it the name "rosea-lineata". Sounds like label confusion.

o

A Sport of 'Electrica' also nick named also as 'Roseo- Lineata'. The plant also had an odd habit of the flower mutating and showing odd forms. It could have also sported off a variegate form.

o

Hi Guys

Don't forget the Roseo-Lineata is but a Nursery naming or a made up bit of describing their plant by a collector as it has no botanical or taxonomical meaning, in other words drop it from your label.
Apparently it appears as though most of the variegated plants in the fulgens/miniata group are HYBRIDS, look to Ae. Reginald etc.

Frankie I still have your plant in 2nd photo tagged as Ae. fulgens var. discolor variegated, that's the pinker of your 2 plants. That 2nd plant is also variegated not Albo. it has stripes in the leaf other than the white edges.

Pinkbroms

o

Yep I am with you on that Ross ,thats how I have always known it ,occasionally you can get a distinct Albo marginate pup ,but its not stable ,
Jack

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here