Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephania_gw

Not a Broms, but as colourful as !

stephania
16 years ago

For colourful tropical plant lovers...

These are Aglaonema hybrids which have been created in my country, Thailand.

There are hundreds of cv. and they become a very popular potplant here in SE Asia.

You can obtain these colourful aroid at our Chatuchak plant market, Bangkok City.

{{gwi:483350}}

{{gwi:483351}}

{{gwi:483352}}

{{gwi:483353}}

{{gwi:483354}}

{{gwi:483356}}

{{gwi:483358}}

{{gwi:483359}}

{{gwi:483361}}

{{gwi:483362}}

{{gwi:483364}}

Comments (12)

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

Very beautiful stephania

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Ooooooh, Stephania, now you are making my heart beat faster! I loooove those colorful Aglaonemas, especially the ones with the really round red leaves. If I walked into that shop I think my head would explode! Why don't we have those here????

Okay, it's not a brom, but we forgive you! ;-)

• atmccmn
    16 years ago

Stephania, they are great! May I know how's their pricing's like for those striking pink and red type.
    I think they could rival Neos. in term of colors and textures but not on the compactness for certain hybrids. My hands are getting itchy again........

• stephania
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Average price for small plant of new release hybrid is about 30 - 40 US$ each
    and much more expensive for the one that got the winner prize in plant shows
    but will be quite cheap for those ready from tissue cultured - 1 - 5 US$.

The round red leaves is 20-30 US$ and the pink one is about 5 -10 US$ depend on size.
    I believe they will be much more cheaper nearly soon, because tissue culture.

{{gwi:483366}}

{{gwi:483367}}

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

I checked their website, and they don't offer most of the ones pictured here, just a few of the pinkish ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: SSP Tissue Culture Lab - Aglaonemas

• stephania
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes Lisa, they have only few varieties there.
    Actually, there are some other hybridizers and growers which have a lot of new cv.
    but they don't have website, or only Thai language.

• odyssey3
    16 years ago

I cannot express how much I want one of those pink ones!! I'm off to try to find them online...

• philofan
    16 years ago

Nice aroids! I hope these aglaonemas eventually creep over here some day.

• stephania
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do hope you could find, Odyssey.

Hey Philofan, I had posted Philo pics for you in another thread of Chatuchak topic.
    And these pic should be here, as Thai Caladium is on of the most colourful series.

{{gwi:483368}}

{{gwi:483370}}

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

I found a few online, but not cheap. tropicalnurseries.com has had pictures of several nice ones for some time now, but they still don't seem to be offering most of them for sale yet.

I also found this discussion on another GW forum. It sounds like they are pretty difficult to grow outside of the tropics. Before you run out and order some, you might want to read what they have to say about it (see link).

I have to say, I'm not too surprised. I tried to root some cuttings of the one I have last November, and they are only now starting to send out new shoots!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Aglaonemas

• atmccmn
    16 years ago

Thanks Lisa for the link. Guess I have to do some 'homework' first before dwelling into these Aglaonemas.

Offtopic.
    I used to have few of those highly colored caladium especially pink and red varieties, but unfortunately all dissapeared after few cycles of dormancy. Now I'm thinking twice before getting any plants with dormancy cycles.

• mike4284m
    16 years ago

For those interested:

Here is a link that might be useful: Asiatica

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus
More Discussions