Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaga_gw

Totara waters Vriesea's

jaga
14 years ago

Out visiting our good friends Peter and Jocelyn Coyle and took a few pics to share,

Pic 1 is Vriesea 'yellow wave', plants off the orginal best in show winning plant. Possible seedling sport off Vr Hieroglyphica. This plant is registered.

{{gwi:483681}}

a general view inside the green house.

Vriesea 'Tasman Candyman' the stand out in the foreground

Pic2

{{gwi:483682}}

pic3

Vriesea 'vistarella'

{{gwi:483683}}

Some new vriesea's just arrived.

pic4

{{gwi:483684}}

pic5

{{gwi:483685}}

pic6

{{gwi:483686}}

Some Vriesea's on the sales table

pic7

{{gwi:483687}}

pic8

{{gwi:483688}}

A couple of pic's in the garden

aloe's in flower

pic9

{{gwi:483689}}

A few of the many Vriesea's in the garden

pic10

{{gwi:483690}}

Comments (9)

• blue_heeler
    14 years ago

Just stunning!!!! Thanks so much for sharing. I've been to Peter's place and it is so beautifully landscaped. He even gave me a bromeliad to take home (before he realised I live in Australia). *#&&** quarantine laws, I had to refuse it.

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi John & Agatha,

Great pics and lovely plants. Thanks so much for sharing them. Wouldn't I love to get my hands on a few of those! Dream on Paul.

• matt15
    14 years ago

Jaga,
    Those Vriesea's are absolutely stunning. I would love to walk those gardens for a browse. Thankyou for sharing.

• atmccmn
    14 years ago

Hi JAGA,

As usual, you always post very beautiful Vrieseas around. The pictures are very breath taking. Got a question though. I saw the Vr Vistarella plant has some red lineation running along the leaves. Is that a variegation or it's a sort of defect to the plant. I have a fosteriana hybrid showing this kind of characteristic. Now it makes me wonder what's the cause. Could it be genetic?

{{gwi:483692}}

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Fabulous collection!

I was wondering about Vistarella too. Interesting markings. I do wish you'd stop showing me pics of Tasman Candyman if I can't have one, though!

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi jaga,

I echo the comments of everybody else, really mouth watering stuff.

Gee blue heeler, I think if I'd been given one I would have tried swimming home and landing on an isolated beach somewhere just to get it into the country without A.Q.S. bombarding it with nasties.

Thanks for sharing with us jaga, all the best, Nev.

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Echo Kerry here repeating all of the above compliments.
    I do so love those Maloy hybrids! And Peter's garden is superb. That last photo captures the size and robust quality of those vrieseas well.

Thanks J+A!

PS. How many did you buy this time?

K

• hanwc
    14 years ago

Drooling....Fabulous Vriesea. Just wondering for those Vriesea grown outdoor in Totara Water (PIC 10), do they overwinter in the outdoor as well?

• jaga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all many thanks for the comments.
    Matt, check out 'broms in the park' post-shows off Totara Waters gardens.
    Atm, this is a debatable question which comes up all the time, in the case of the Vr Vistarella (vista x Marcella)shown here its a one off out of a grex of hundreds that Peter has kept back for obvious reasons and the red center lineation has occured on every leaf so my guess its genetics but will have to wait and see what the pups do. Your Fosteriana seems to suggest virus as when they variegate the lines are wider and more white at the variegation.
    Lisa, Dont know how the 'Tasman Candyman' appeared again but now that I know it stesses you up will have to crop it away next time or maybe not.........
    Han, Yes these plants are a few of hundreds planted in their garden. Vriesea's dont seem to suffer as much through the up to -4 frost winter as other genus do and thats why they have been so popular here.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists
More Discussions