Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cutfish

Ortho Propagation

cutfish
14 years ago

Hi all

Last November I acquired an Orthophytum (the first I had ever owned) It grew. It Flowered. And grew adventitious pups I wished to grow more and commenced a search to find out the best way and found information rather scarce other than basal pups were easy, inflorescence pups another matter.

Since I succeeded and have fairly well documented the whole affair I thought the whole episode may be of some use to others. This is how it went.

9 04 20 Plant with offsets

{{gwi:483910}}

From what I could gather The best way to root these offsets was to place them over water till roots initiated

{{gwi:483911}}

The bottom of the stems were suspended above but not touching the water

I also felt that more plants could be produced from the inflorescence stem So I cut it into one and two node pieces and planted the pieces in potting mix as below

{{gwi:483913}}

After about two months roots began to initiate on the offsets

{{gwi:483916}}

These were at this stage put into peat and sand mix until sufficiently rooted to pot up separately. This took another two months

09 08 24 pups rooted and potted

{{gwi:483918}}

Also now the stem pieces have begun to grow new offsets

09 08 24

{{gwi:483919}}

I actually think it might have been better to have the leaf below the level of the mix not at the surface The middle front pot shows two offsets initiated one at ground level and a much stronger one from a buried node.Perhaps burying two node pieces horizontally would work better

{{gwi:483920}}

Next time!! which won't be long as the original plant is now back in flower with two infloresences and will have five basal offsets next time

{{gwi:483921}}

I hope this will be of use to someone.

Cheers Neil

Comments (3)