Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cutfish

Ae.orlandiana green pup

cutfish
14 years ago

Hi all I am new here and first I would like to say what a great forum this is. I have been involved in plants and growing them all my life but recently ( about 18 mths ago I decided to get serious about broms (for the ????th time.

Some of the plants I have, have been with me for about 20 years.I now have a small collection of about 100 different taxa representing several genera. I prefer to collect species and old cultivars rather than new ones but I am not at all dogmatic about this

What finally pushed me to join this forum was this Ae. orlandiana that first produced two normal pups and has now produced a plain green one. I have never seen this before.

has anyone else and what do you call it.?

Plant with two normal pups 6 months ago

{{gwi:483999}}

Planr with Green Pup now

{{gwi:484001}}

Any comments would be most appreciated

cheers Neil

Comments (3)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

That last pup is still young, Neil, and since the mother plant has mostly died back, it will likely grow a bit slower than the others. This is not unusual, and I expect it will eventually take on the dark splotches. If it doesn't, you could have something new and interesting, but I'd say it's probably just taking its time.

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi cutfish,

Another Aussie joins our ranks, welcome, welcome, welcome!
    You've joined a great forum of very friendly and informative "bromaddicts" world wide, and we look forward to your on-going involvement in our forums.

Firstly, I can't answer your question about Ae. orlandiana as it's never happened to me or any of my friends that I'm aware of.

Secondly, on looking at the fence in your top pic' I would like to ask is it made of CCA treated timber? If so, don't let your leaves touch the palings (especially when the're wet) as a friend of mine did and the leaves all began to die back everywhere they touched the timber.

I had a bad experience with damage from this type of timber some years back and I'm probably a bit fanatical about warning people every time I see it or anything that resembles it. I notice a couple of leaves have died back on the tips and just thought this was worth mentioning in case you didn't already know.

Enjoy your membership with us, all the best, Nev.

• cutfish
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your reply Lisa I had thought of that explanation even though though pup does not have any coloration at all. Further I originally had one plant that I got two pups off. When mature this one had the two normal pups as shown. The second had one . Both set another pup. the green one is a bit older and as the other mother did not look well I put it in a tree to try and force some roots from the pup. It is normal, younger and the mother worse. Shown below

{{gwi:484003}}

Iguess time will provide the answer.

Nev with regard to cca treated timber...... too late!!! In the heavy rain last dec/jan I lost several good plants and several others were damaged. I am still trying to get them not die and produce pups. This was not from the fence but from some new beams I put in to extend shade cloth I had never had any trouble before from old timbers and I should have known better as I worked on the introduction of cca treatment in forestry dept. Farmers were then worried about their cows licking telegraph poles then

I can't endorse your warning strongly enough If you use treated timber over broms you will get caught sooner or later

Thanks again Neil

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions