Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tania_i_m

Yellowing Pineapple leaves

tania
17 years ago

Hi!

Both of my pineapple plants are turning yellow. They were doing fine. Both were nice and green, then all of a sudden the younger plant began to turn yellow, then followed the older plant. The weather turned a bit hotter this week, and that's when the yellowing began. I haven't treated them any different, so I don't know why they are turning yellow. Could it be not enough, or too much water? I'm puzzled by this sudden change.

Tania ~_~

Comments (12)

• scaldude
    17 years ago

Sorry, I'm lost here. Mine has been on my balcony 24/7 for 2+ years. It even survived, although slightly frost burned, from getting covered by hail last winter. It's a survivor.

I have been frequently watering mine this summer due to it fruiting and pushing pups...I figured it needed more than usual since it's in direct sun.

Have you fertilized them recently...burn? How large are the pots...big enough? In the ground...animal urine? Gophers...eating roots? Do you keep them in direct or filtered sun?

Post a pic if possible.

• scaldude
    17 years ago

Tania,

I hope your pineapples have improved.

Here are some pics of mine...with hail and one current pic...

{{gwi:484567}}

{{gwi:484568}}

Good luck.

• tania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow! Your plants are beautiful! I have mine in 1 gal pots, and they are always in direct sunlight. I do have a dish under each pot to catch any draining water, so they'll soak it right back up, and I water every other day. Haven't changed anything. One thing I haven't done is fertilize. Maybe that's what they need! Looking at my log now, I just realized the last time I fertilized them was in July of 2005. I can't believe it's been that long!

The plant that isn't as yellow, has been in the 1 gal pot for two years now, and the one that is worse, has almost been in a 1 gal for almost a year now. Might I need bigger pots?

I'll take a picture of them tomorrow. How do I post it here?

Tania ~_~

• bob740
    17 years ago

Tania, reading your last comments,I had these thoughts. Yes,the plants could use a larger pot,and surely some fertilizing.Some slo-release pellets mixed in some new soil in a larger container would likely be appreciated by your plants.Its possible the yellowing may be the result of the dish they set in,holding more water than the plants can easily absorb,especially if there is too little soil.No sure thing here,but a possibility.
    I'd drain off any excess water in the dish,or not have a dish if you have them outdoors,as you water them often.I do mine once a week,and only if needed. Bob

• scaldude
    17 years ago

I too water once a week and let the excess water drain-out. I use a liquid fert (Roberta's Hawaiian Flower Magic) every watering. I use standard potting soil, but adding additional perlite for increased drainage can't hurt. Yeah, mine's in a pretty large pot...18" torpedo-terra cotta.

To post a pic, up-load a digital pic from your PC to a free account at Photobucket.com. Copy the "TAG" link of the desired pic at Photobucket and paste it into the text space here at GardenWeb....like magic, the pic at Photobucket appears with your comment!

Good Luck.

• brihoff_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Maybe get the soil tested, i know it has been awhile since you posted this, but i have the same problem. This was the answer i found..

The pineapple will not thrive on soils rich in lime or manganese. Soils containing 3% of manganese cause the leaves to turn yellow and the young fruits to turn pink long before they are ripe. The fruits that do grow are extremely acid and unpalatable. Excess of lime cause the leaves to turn yellow and small fruits fail to develop their normal color.
    The Story of the Pineapple By Elencia Davis - Southern Illinois University Carbondale / Ethnobotanical Leaflets /

Here is a link that might be useful: The Story of the Pineapple

• houstonpat
    15 years ago

I like to use lots of Ironite and grow them in larger pots. This pic is last year, they look the same this year, and even held up real well through the storm.

{{gwi:469898}}

• tania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses. I'll test the soil and see what reading I get. The ironite is a great idea, I'm down for giving it a try. Houstonpat, your plants look beautiful!

After my original posting I decided to move the plants to bigger pots. I never expected to find soggy, foul smelling soil at the bottom of the pots. The plants were getting too much water. So I popped off the saucers, and re-potted them in the same pots. One plant only had 1 root, and the other 2 roots. I used cactus mix, some small Lava Rock and Lava Rock dust, and a tiny bit of Red Wood Soil Conditioner. I placed some gravel at the base of each pot and covered it with screen for better drainage. Fortunately they survived, and their color improved. I had them in a somewhat partially shaded location but my dog kept running over them, breaking the leaves, and just being brutal, so I moved them to another location in the yard, and they were fine, but she started messing with them there too! Now I have them at another location where she can't even go anywhere near them! They've grown quite a bit since then. But no fruit! I'm wondering how long it will take for them to grow a sufficient amount of roots, so I can transplant them again. I re-potted them July 2007. Could that be enough time for them to grow a good amount of roots? I still have them in a slightly sunny area, mostly shade now that the sun has shifted. And I've been watering them about once a week or week and a half. They've been doing well. Should I just keep them in pots or do you guys recommend planting them in the ground? I hope to get them used to full sun, that's probably the only way they'll fruit. I'd like for them to fruit on their own. My first goal is for the leaves to be all green!

I don't have any recent pics, I'll take one in the next few days and post it.

Thanks so much for your help!
    Tania ~_~

• pvzci2_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

I have 8 pinneaple plants in pots on my balcony. They looked healthy and green but last weekend i noticed 3 of them were getting yellow. In my case i'm pretty sure it's beacuse they had too much water. It was a rainny week and the plants that started getting yellowish were the ones that were closer to the balcony edge (where some rain would fall). I didn't watered them since then, and i wonder if there is something else that i can do to help. they don't seem to be getting worst but they're still a little yellow.

• scaldude
    14 years ago

Pineapples are the only Broms I grow and, over the years, I've abused them every way possible (...and am surprised how forgiving they are), but I'm guessing yours need transplanting. Pineapples grow more than 3 feet across and hate to have their roots crowded. They're really not container plants. If the tips start browning too, go find some large tera cotta or 10 gallon nursery pots. Good luck.

• Darren Stone
    7 years ago

I have a yard full of pineapples and some other bromelaids on my patio, I never water them from the soil, I keep a spray bottle full of water and mist them from the top letting some water trickle down to the center of the plant, in the yard I just lightly water the tops. as for yellowing I have this problem too but we had a really wet summer and I think some of my plants got to much water from the soil.

• Swapnil Patil
    7 years ago

Hi,

My pineapple plants why turning red, brown, yellow-green? is because of over-watering or nutrition's deficiency or root fungus, How i can find because of?

Sponsored
More Discussions