Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turtlewalker_gw

19th World Bromeliad Conference

turtlewalker
13 years ago

Did anyone go to World Bromeliad Conference?

I did not made it this year.

Comments (26)

• bromaholic
    13 years ago

No; but I am sweating on some news, goss, pics, anything about it!

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

It will be a while before Kerry's back home, but I'm sure she will have some stories to tell. In the meantime, maybe Andy took some pics....???

• bromadams
    13 years ago

I heard that Jay Thurrot, the former VP, was elected as the new president of the BSI.

• sdandy
    13 years ago

It was a blast. But I was too busy running around the sales area, chatting with people and having a good time to take too many pictures. I haven't had a chance to really look through what I did take and see if anything is good enough to post. I forgot to go grab pictures of the show plants until the last day and my batteries were almost dead so I had to try to take them without flashes...

I'm glad I wasn't involved with the board meeting, I sometimes have a hard time keeping my tongue in check. But I am already excited about the next conference in Florida. Although it was probably a little untraditional, staying right on Bourbon Street was fantastic (at least for me). It really was an experience!
    -andy

• stoney225
    13 years ago

I thought there would be more entries than there were, but the plants that were entered were nice. Here are a few:

{{gwi:484701}}

{{gwi:484703}}

{{gwi:484705}}

{{gwi:484708}}

{{gwi:484710}}

{{gwi:484712}}

{{gwi:484714}}

{{gwi:484715}}

{{gwi:484717}}

{{gwi:484719}}

{{gwi:484721}}

{{gwi:484723}}

{{gwi:484724}}

{{gwi:484726}}

{{gwi:484728}}

• avane_gw
    13 years ago

Thanks for showing those Stoney - some nice and interesting plants. Do you know what is the plant directly above the picture of Neo Touch the Heart?

Japie

• stoney225
    13 years ago

You are welcome. Off hand I am not sure what it is. When I get home this evening I'll see if I can zoom in far enough to read it.

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Stoney,

Great pic's of the conference plants, thanks for sharing them with us.

All the best, Nev.

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

Is that copper wire wrapped around the Tillandsia?

• stoney225
    13 years ago

It is not copper wire. I'm almost positive it is Rainforest Flora's "Tilly Hanger" wire. They offer it in different colors. If you use wire to hang your Tillandsias there is nothing better as far as I'm concerned. It is almost like solder or some type of rosin core wire. It's thick but very pliable and holds to whatever form you shape it into.

Japie, I was not able to see the name of the plant you asked about. Maybe someone could ID it.

• sdandy
    13 years ago

Japie, Aechmea moorei x brevicollis.

The wire is the stuff from Rainforest. Aluminum based maybe?

• bryan69
    13 years ago

The aechmea moorei x brevicollis is mine and it is named aech. Jack. The lighting in the room was terrible. You can't really see the true color of the plants. I won't even post any cause of this.

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Does anyone recognize the little double red guy on the rock in pic #19? Bigeneric?

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

The wire around the Tillandsia looks like the same type of wire that's used to wrap around branches when training Bonsai plants.

It comes in different colours and is exactly as Stoney describes. I never thought about using it to mount brom's, so it looks like my son's bonsai supplies will need to get raided!

All the best, Nev.

• bryan69
    13 years ago

Lisa, I don't remember which one it was but it was a neo.

• sdandy
    13 years ago

Its a Neophytum, Lisa. Orthophytum vagans x Neo. Fireball.

• sdandy
    13 years ago

Sorry. I am really, really bad at taking pictures of people (I think sympathy as I don't like being in pictures) so I only have plant pictures...here are a couple of different ones...

{{gwi:484740}}

{{gwi:484741}}

{{gwi:484743}}

{{gwi:484744}}

{{gwi:484745}}

{{gwi:484746}}

{{gwi:484747}}

{{gwi:484748}}
    {{gwi:484749}}

{{gwi:484750}}

{{gwi:484751}}

11 "The Crescent City Thanks to BP"
    {{gwi:484752}}

{{gwi:484753}}

{{gwi:484755}}

{{gwi:484756}}

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Thanks for the ID, Andy. That is exactly what I would have guessed, but I've never seen a cross of those 2 parents.

Nice pictures too, although I had a hard time getting past the first one!

• sdandy
    13 years ago

No problem Lisa. I had thought about putting the Lorena Lector at the bottom as everyone seemed to go nuts for that plant. I guess I'm not really a Neo-nut as I think it is beautiful but not quite worth the price that Micheal was asking for the plants. Ok, really not worth the price. The same was for all of Skotak's new releases. But I am also cheap...
    -andy

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

I'm cheap too, Andy. Plus I prefer to make my own, but that doesn't stop me from drooling over other people's creations. I don't know that I would have laid out big bucks for LL (how much was he selling it for, BTW?), but I heard that Groves Red Tiger pups were plentiful and cheap. Fortunately I already have that one, but I would have liked to have been there. I'm sure I would have found a few things that wanted to come home with me!

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

Lorena Lector is not one of Chester's plants.

• sdandy
    13 years ago

Sorry HDD, we were talking about multiple vendors and growers at the same time. Michael had LL and of course Eloise Beach had all of Skotak's stuff. Skotak's stuff was awesome, but to me they all blend together a bit (I know, blasphemy). Groves did have good prices on all of his/their plants, his/their table was pretty much empty by the end of the first full day...but I was able to snag one of those Red Tigers...mature and with a good sized pup on it too.

The sales area was quite the experience. Even on the last day I was walking around and seeing new cool stuff that I somehow missed before. But I think Michael had stuff hidden and pulled new stuff out each day. Both Michael and Tropiflora had soooooo many plants.
    -andy

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

Chester has some new things coming that are stunning. And not just Neo's.

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi stoney, Hi Andy,

Thanks for a great picture show. That Lorena Lector sport is just a stunner, but the one I need to ask about is - stoney - the second Dyckia in your series - any idea what that is? Just love the bright white teeth on the dark background. Cheers, Paul

• turtlewalker
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It looks like Cryptanthus warasii, too me.

• bromeliaddict
    13 years ago

I finally got some photos labelled. I agree with Bryan that the lighting was not very conducive to good photography. Lighting cast a disturbing yellow pall on everything and gave a jaundiced look to the plants. Still, a couple of things haven't been posted that deserve to be seen.

Best of Show- horticulture
    {{gwi:484757}}

Dyckia goehringii
    {{gwi:484758}}

a couple Shiigi hybrids
    {{gwi:484759}}

{{gwi:484760}}

{{gwi:484761}}

I had a great time at the conference. It was cool to meet some of the GW posters and get to know them better! and of course it was nice to renew aquaintances with friends that I haven't seen in 4-6 years. Besides pictures, I brought home lots of new plants as souvenirs of the trip!

Paul

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor
More Discussions