Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
udo69

Need I dentification

udo69
15 years ago

A have 2 plant to be identified.

1. This plants was bought from local market many years ago. It looks like A.fasciata but It's flower is different. Somebody in Thailand told me that it should be bigeneric of Ae.fasciata.

{{gwi:484828}}

{{gwi:484829}}

The second was given by my friend. He bought it from local market. Again, Someone told me it was bigeneric.

{{gwi:484830}}

{{gwi:484831}}

Comments (10)

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Yes, definitely bigeneric. Those both look like xNeomeas to me, but I don't know their names. They don't seem to match any of the ones on FCBS either.

I wouldn't expect any pollinations done on them to set seed, but please let me know if I'm wrong. ;-)

• udo69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank Lisa. I try to find the identification of those 2 plants in FCBS. I think the second plant look similar to xNeomea exquisita but nothing is match to the first one. I agree with you that both are xNeomea.

I try to pollinate them 2 months ago. Nothing's happened. I think they all are infertile. I will let you know the progression if that work.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Hi Yong,
    I think your second plant might be xNeomea 'San Diego', but you won't find it in the database in fcbs. I grow it, and it looks very similar. I also grow xNeomea 'Exquisita', which is more purple-maroon on underside of leaves. 'San Diego' has slight mottling and more orangey-rust tones on undersides - especially in strong light - and stiff, sometimes slightly pleated leaves.

I really like that first xNeomea - whatever it is.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• udo69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kerry,
    Many thank for your help to identify those plants. I've never heard xNeomea 'San Diego' but I hope it's similar to my plants. If you have pictures of those plants, please post them for me.

Pup of the first plant is baned but it disapear when it grow up. Me too, still like this plant.

Regards
    Yong

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Hi Yong,

As requested, here are some photos.

Firstly - xNeomea 'Exquisita'.
    {{gwi:484832}}

{{gwi:484833}}

And here we have a young xNeomea 'San Diego'.
    {{gwi:484835}}

{{gwi:484837}}

Unfortunately, I still didn't get a photo of it flowering, but here is a pic of an old mum and pups, post flowering and growing in less light, if that is of any help.
    {{gwi:484839}}

xNeomea 'San Diego' has been discussed on this forum before, and HDD kindly posted information on it. See the link below.

Do you think it might be the same as yours, Yong?

Cheers,
    Kerry

Here is a link that might be useful: xNeomea San Diego?

• udo69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Many thank Kerry. I think my xNeomea exquisita looks similar to yours but xNeomea San Diego looks different. My plant has radish silver foliage and has no mottled leave. It has silvery or silvery with radish banded foliages when it's immature.
    A.chantinii should be one of its' parent but the other one I do not know.

Regards
    Yong

• udo69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi All,

I just look FCBS site. There is a November/December 2008 newsletter from the Caloosahatchee Bromeliad Society published. On the cover page is a plant that similar to my 2nd plant. It is XNeomea Popcorn. It's only a photo. of flower, not the whole plant. I need a picture of that plants. Dr Larry Giroux is a photographer. How can I contact him?

Cheers
    Yong

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Larry's email addy is on the top of that article you just read. Im sure he would respond if he hasnt had his surgery yet

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Yong - Another option would be to try and contact him via Stephania. All the best, Nev.

• sdandy
    15 years ago

Here are what I have labeled as neomea 'popcorn'. Three are blooming right now, two in shaded one in brighter light. Not a huge difference, but the one with more light is on the left of the second and third pics.

{{gwi:484841}}

{{gwi:484843}}

{{gwi:484845}}

Sponsored
More Discussions