Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brom_adorer

Do we have a crack Billbergia expert in the forum?

brom_adorer
14 years ago

I'd like to have a couple of Billys ID'd please.

{{gwi:484946}}

{{gwi:484947}}

it has a bit of a branch lower down the flower spike

{{gwi:484948}}

Leaf

{{gwi:484950}}

That was number one, heres nuber two.

{{gwi:484952}}

{{gwi:484954}}

Thanks in advance.

BA

Comments (3)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

I'm no Bill expert, but I've seen enough to recognize B. vittata genes in #1. I can't be sure if it's a form of the species or a hybrid, but my guess would be hybrid. Check the FCBS search results below and draw your own conclusions. Calophylla looks like a possibility. You can run the search the other way too. These are just ones with vittata as seed parent.

#2 looks like Louise.

Here is a link that might be useful: B. vittata cvs. & hybrids

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks lisa. They are all very similar aren't they? I agree that B. vittata is definitely in there. I guess I will have to be content with that, and maybe I'll just label it as a B. vittata hybrid for future reference.
    Thanks for the name on number 2 also. The name rings a bell, as I knew it had a womans name, I just couldn't remember it. Thanks again Lisa. ps, I like b.'colores'
    bA

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

BA, Colores is a cultivar of B. vittata that I believe was named by Don Beadle. At any rate, I got mine from him. I only sent in that funky old scanned photo at the request of the registrar, who noticed I had submitted a hybrid made with it (B. YouTube) for registration, and BCR lacked a photo in its database.

Oddly enough, although YouTube was made with two vittatas (Colores and Domingos Martins), it doesn't come up on a vittata search because the registrar entered only the cv. names of the parents. So there are undoubtedly many more vittata hybrids that are not on that list, you just have to search under all of its cv. names too. Then if you made a list of all of the vittata hybrids you could run a search for second generation hybrids made with them as parents, etc. etc. It's endless, and of course you have to do the search both ways, first as seed parent, then as pollen parent. A bit complicated, perhaps, but it's great that FCBS has set up these databases so we can do things like that!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm
More Discussions