Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do we have a crack Billbergia expert in the forum?

Posted by brom_adorer Mid-North Coast, NSW (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 2, 09 at 5:28

I'd like to have a couple of Billys ID'd please.
Billbergia
Billbergia
it has a bit of a branch lower down the flower spike
Billbergia
Leaf
Photobucket

That was number one, heres nuber two.
Billbergia
Billbergia
Thanks in advance.
BA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do we have a crack Billbergia expert in the forum?

I'm no Bill expert, but I've seen enough to recognize B. vittata genes in #1. I can't be sure if it's a form of the species or a hybrid, but my guess would be hybrid. Check the FCBS search results below and draw your own conclusions. Calophylla looks like a possibility. You can run the search the other way too. These are just ones with vittata as seed parent.

#2 looks like Louise.

Here is a link that might be useful: B. vittata cvs. & hybrids

o

Thanks lisa. They are all very similar aren't they? I agree that B. vittata is definitely in there. I guess I will have to be content with that, and maybe I'll just label it as a B. vittata hybrid for future reference.
Thanks for the name on number 2 also. The name rings a bell, as I knew it had a womans name, I just couldn't remember it. Thanks again Lisa. ps, I like b.'colores'
bA

o

BA, Colores is a cultivar of B. vittata that I believe was named by Don Beadle. At any rate, I got mine from him. I only sent in that funky old scanned photo at the request of the registrar, who noticed I had submitted a hybrid made with it (B. YouTube) for registration, and BCR lacked a photo in its database.

Oddly enough, although YouTube was made with two vittatas (Colores and Domingos Martins), it doesn't come up on a vittata search because the registrar entered only the cv. names of the parents. So there are undoubtedly many more vittata hybrids that are not on that list, you just have to search under all of its cv. names too. Then if you made a list of all of the vittata hybrids you could run a search for second generation hybrids made with them as parents, etc. etc. It's endless, and of course you have to do the search both ways, first as seed parent, then as pollen parent. A bit complicated, perhaps, but it's great that FCBS has set up these databases so we can do things like that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here