Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allan4519

Have wide range of bromeliad seed.....

allan4519
10 years ago

Hi all, has been a while since I last posted to this forum.
Since my last post, have cleared out many thousands of seedling bromeliads (mostly species & primary hybrids) & am now changing my hobby to some Bromeliads while increasing the number of orchids, hippeastrums & Worsleya.

Still have seed of bromeliads if any one is interested?

Though would like to get seed of "virus free" selected hippeastrum "preferably selfing of choice white, red, pink & miniature hippeastrum tetraploid plants?
Most Hippeastrum bulbs sold in Australia have virus & we do not get access to quality bulbs from South Africa or Europe only seed is allowed into Australia so am happy to swap Bromeliad seed for Selected Hippeastrum seed if interested? (Do have an extensive seed list of choice bromeliads if interested).

The image below was part of my bromeliad collection that is now reduced to a hand full of choice variegates & selected species like Aechmea zebrina, Vriesea ospinae v. gruberii, Vriesea hieroglyphica etc.,

Comments (11)

• hotdiggetydam
    10 years ago

Beautiful collection

• allan4519
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the compliment hitdiggetudam, yes I was happy with it, though became a slave to it & needed a change.
    allan

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

When you have so much in pots I think it does become a bit of an ordeal. More than 99% of mine aren't in pots so with automatic irrigation it sort of looks after itself. But keeping things under control, adding, subtracting, modifying, still keep me pretty busy. Kind of like an orchestra conductor, LOL.

• allan4519
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol, can agree tropicbreezent, just wish I had the luxury of automatic irrigation, would have made life easy compared with the hand watering ritual I used to do???

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

i'm away from home a fortnight at a time. The few days between wouldn't be enough to keep anything alive in this climate. I lose things now and again when a sprinkler blocks and I'm still away. But overall it works out well and when I'm home leaves me time to do other essential things in the garden.

• allan4519
    Original Author
    10 years ago

understandable.......

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Coincidentally, I saw photos of your rainforest brom plantings. Looks quite impressive. I've been planning on doing some of that at my place.

• allan4519
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tropicbreezent Not sure what planting you have seen, as the last one I did was years ago, when I had a business & it was part of my main glass house.
    You may have seen images of friends garden or nursery planting of broms., I have used images to show broms., in garden settings? Not that it matters, broms are easy to make a spectacle when it comes to planting amongst trees etc.,
    I have gardens of broms as features in my yard still though not as showy as previous.......................... cheers allan

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Allan, I've sent you an email.

• allan4519
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Than you tropicbreezent for the replys, not sure of who that alan was though in this climate it is quite common for people to have tropical bromeliad garden plantings as so many bromeliads grow in this climate well.

The range of bromeliads I sell as seed are most of the dramatic foliage & flowering species found in cultivation, with a preference to thornless foliage & plants which can tolerate cool climates (ie zone 8 & above) as well as tropical environments like zone 10+. I used to do bigenerics also though have run out of that seed.

Will check my email. thanks for the response. allan
    The image below is of some of my Alcantarea ie Alc., extensa, Alc. geniculata & Alc., imperialis v. rubra

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Thanks Allan. I've got an Alc. imperialis rubra but the leaves got badly burned in the sun and those that have grown back seem to have lost their "rubra". Hoping it will eventually get back to normal.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area
More Discussions