Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I.D. Request

Posted by bromsofnq tropical australia (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 08 at 7:24

This was a brom that was spotted at one of the gardens visited during the WBC in Cairns. It was seen by approx. 200 delegates and not one of them knew what it was. There was many requests for a pup but apart from the owner not knowing what it was, she only had one herself. If anyone knows what it is maybe we can source it from somewhere else, cos I wheely want one.

unknown

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I.D. Request

Is the plant in a one gallon pot?

o
info

One possibilty is Neo eleutheropetala

o

Yes, it could be a form of N. eleutheropetala, of which there are apparently LOTS of forms (or else lots of mislabeled plants). Or it could be some other member of the Hylaeicum subgenus of Neos (margaretae, meeana, wurdackii, rosea, etc.). They all have a similar look-- tough, spiny and stoloniferous. That one has a somewhat wider leaf than most, but perhaps that is just a varietal difference.

o

Very nice I want one of those as well . I have a Neo. wurdackii , its similar , but as Lisa pointed out the leaves are a bit narrower on this group [ Hylaeicum ] .
Not many in cultivation downunder.

o

Love it! I want one too!

My first impression was also N. eleutheropetala, although mine (now dead..) had narrower leaves. The Qld fellow I bought mine from is no longer in the nursery game, but hmmmm....might give my good ol' mate a ring.....he might have a couple left in his garden.....

Cheers,
Kerry

o

Thanks everyone for having a go at I.D. as far as I can see it looks like definitely one from the sub genus Halaeicum like Lisa pointed out and most likely a variety of Rosea. The photos on FCBS aren't all that good as usual and you can't really see into the centre of theirs to see if there is that deep purple cauldron that is in the centre of our plant in question.I will contact the lady and see if I can tweak her memory and get some sort of a thread on tracking it's source down, I'll keep on the case and hopefully we can all get our hands on one someday, will let yawl know as soon as I find something out. Like Michael says, probably not many in cultivation downunder.So wish me luck and thanks to all once again.
Regards
Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here