Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_t23

From the other side ...

paul_t23
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just happened (Ha!) to be wandering past the broms and looked back the other way and thought 'WOW - maybe I should always walk backwards!'

{{gwi:485661}}

I've spent so much time looking at these gruberi's from the front that I tend to forget how great they can look from the other direction. The same applies to lots of broms. If anyone else has some 'Other side' pics they would like to share, for any broms, I'd love to see them.

Cheers, Paul

Comments (30)

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

HI Paul,

Great stuff! Are the two on the bottom with the pink in them gruberii's also? How about a pic of the whole plant?

All the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

ok Paul just to please you i will give you a 'shot' from
    the other side , Jack

{{gwi:485663}}

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Love your "grubs" and Novas, Paul!
    And Melissa scrubs up well under her skirts too, Jack!

They're not just a pretty face, after all.

You've inspired me to look for and/or take some photos while walking backwards. Bring them on!

K

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Nev and Kerry, thanks for your kind comments. Jack, that Vriesea is just stunning, extraordinary, and every other superlative I can think of. Thanks for showing it.

Nev, the one with the pink at the bottom of the pic is a V. Nova seedling. They pink-up nicely at this time of the year. You've cajoled me into taking a pic of it whole, and while I was there ..... well, how could I stop? It was getting late this evening and the light was a bit dim, so the pics are a bit grainy, but hopefully they'll show up OK. I just love looking at the detailed patterning on these plants. Here goes.

Nev, the Nova seedling. Its about 15cm across.
    {{gwi:485665}}

Its next-door neighbour - this one is about 45cm across
    {{gwi:485667}}

Nova seedlings - looking through the neighbours
    {{gwi:485669}}

More Novas - back along the row
    {{gwi:485671}}

An un-named fosteriana with lots of white
    {{gwi:485673}}

A different un-named fosteriana with lots of white
    {{gwi:485674}}

The next three are for Jack - thanks for making some great plants:

Montezuma's Gem - love that patterning and glossy leaves
    {{gwi:485676}}

Uluru Sunset - beautiful warm colours
    {{gwi:485679}}

Milky Way - just stunning
    {{gwi:485683}}

Its hard to match up to the architectural patterning of foliage Vrieseas, but I reckon this Neo comes close:

Jaws albomarginata
    {{gwi:485687}}

I hope you enjoy these as much as I do. Love to see some more pics from the other side.

Cheers, Paul

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Very nice paul, they look great ,where did you get the very white Vr.fosteriana ? would' nt mind crossing that with 'White Bands' it actually looks like a F2 of 'White Bands', and you have good colour on your 'Uluru Sunset' a lot of people fail to do that,not sure why.but its nice to see you are growing them all very well ,i hate parting with my babies but when they go to a good home its rewarding, and the 'Jaws' is lovely , good show ,Jack

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Paul,

What a fantastic lot of plants you've shown us this time.

Those Novas are really something special and something I need to now set my sights on for the future; "always room for one more".

Thanks for the kaleidoscope of colour, all the best, Nev.

• brom-nutter
    14 years ago

Hey Paul, great shots.
    Now you have had me in - under - beside lots of vriesea.
    I can't get enough of the folisge plants, with different light on them they just glow and entertain me for hours.
    (well I am a brom-nutter)
    Here are a few shots taken this morning.

Cheers Richard

Southern Cross

{{gwi:485692}}

Kahuna John

{{gwi:485695}}

fosteriana hybrid

{{gwi:485701}}

Forest

{{gwi:485705}}

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi again,

Jack, thanks for your comments. That very white fosteriana came via eBay from a seller in Brisbane a couple of years ago. If you click on my name at the top of this posting and send me an email from my members page, I'll dig out the detail and send it to you by return email. Other fosterianas have spikes coming up now but there is no sign on this one yet and no pups, but if anything develops I'd be delighted to let you have whatever you want. And re the Uluru Sunset, I've followed Tamera's advice and given it plenty of light. It gets full sun for most of the morning and this seems to hold the color nicely. It's a pleasure to give some of your babies a home!

Hey Richard! Great to see that someone else doesn't mind a bit of crawling around. Why not - there's so much to see! Some beautiful plants and great pics. Love the way they light up. All beaut, and that Forest pic is a stunner.

All the best, Paul

• anniesam
    14 years ago

Hi Paul, Great to see how well your plants are doing. Jack and I only commented thisafternoon how well you are growing them, What ever you are doing Dont stop. Great work.
    Richard , terrific photos. Considering all the rain and cold winter, its so good to see plants coming through looking so good.
    Cheers Tamera

• vriesea
    14 years ago

ok, must post a piccie, Vr.'Machu Picchu' from the other side

{{gwi:485707}}

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Paul,

See what you've started now.

Great results everyone, very pleasing on the eyes.

All the best, Nev.

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Tamera, thanks. I get just so much enjoyment from these plants. Jack, that Machu Pichu is another absolute beauty. Thanks for showing it. Cheers, Paul

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Well, I didn't walk backwards so much, as got down on hands and knees to look under. I quite liked what I saw!
    Nidularium 'Ruby Lee'
    {{gwi:485709}}
    Hohenbergia correia araujoi
    {{gwi:485711}}
    Little Neo, probably 'Tigrina'
    {{gwi:445459}}
    and Neo. 'Shelldance' and friend
    {{gwi:485714}}
    Hannibal Lector
    {{gwi:485715}}
    Aechmea 'Red Ribbons'
    {{gwi:485717}}
    and last.... Aechmea orlandiana, dark form
    {{gwi:485719}}
    BA

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi BA,

All looking great. I hope my Hoh. c-a eventually gets like that, its been really slow so far. That mini Neo is a real standout and I just lurv the froggy. It looks a lot like one of those tiny ones that you can often see sitting out on a leaf completely exposed in the blazing sun. You'd think that would be pretty mental for a frog, especially one that only ever gets to around 25mm long, but wherever you get colonies of them, thats what they seem to do! Anyway, enough about frogs - thanks for the brom pics.

Cheers, Paul

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Thats the exact frog Paul! We have them everywhere, and they are usually seen on the windows at night, getting a feed of moths and insects.
    My Ho.Co-Ar was bought last august, in flower and with one pup, I have taken the initial pup off and it grew these two since then, so its doing really well for me! It still has the original flower spike on it, although it IS brown.
    Yes, I'm pretty happy with the colour of the mini neo. I have quite a few from various sources, some named N. punctatissima, and some tigrina, so I've tried them all in varying degrees of light, and this one has responded the best. High light and less fert slows down the growth, but gives better colour and form. I treat most of my red or yellow neos this way and only fertlise after flowering to encourage pups, and then again at root formation on repotted pups. Works for me!
    After reading this thread and taking more notice of the underside of my plants, i have been cable-tying pots of broms on the wall at eye level so I can enjoy the best view. Thanks for starting this one Paul!
    BA

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Could not help myself as the previous piccie was so small i thought an upgrade was in order

{{gwi:485721}}

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Those pic's are all great eye medicine.

Jack, your Melissa Dilling is truly magnificent, how are you going to top that?

All the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Well thank you Nev,dont know if i will top that but I will get her pregnant one day,who knows what babies she may bear? however i feel some plants are a " end of line " product;you know there's little that would make it better,for myself 'melissa dillings' and 'montezuma's gem' are in that category ,(perhaps a mating of these two ?)the magic of plants never ceases to amaze me Nev,I wonder at times how far it can go .Cheers Jack

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jack, when I noticed the original pic was missing I though 'Oh no!', then I found the full size version - just brilliant - thanks. That MD really is something very special. What a thrill that must have been when it first started to show its stuff. Cheers, Paul

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi again Jack, I was typing at the same time as you and didn't see your last posting. I agree with your 'end of line' comment. Sure, you could get something different and the more the merrier, but to get something better for what it is? Nah! - for both MD and MG.

I haven't seen MD in the flesh but with 'Montezuma's Gem', when I look at the plant itself, everything about it just fits together perfectly to make it completely and utterly 'its own thing', even in among a whole lot of other stripey Vrieseas. It's not for me to decide, but I bet that's what goes to make an all-time classic.

Cheers, Paul

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Jack, how widely circulated is MD? Has it made it to the US yet? I agree, that is a finished product.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi lisa ,Vr M.D is still one of a kind ,have not parted with any yet,and it will take some time ,i am not into tissue culturing plants ,its allways a case of small supply,big demand ,I do value your comment,along with everyone elses ,its allways nice to find out how other people perceive my plant(s) as i do worry a bit wether i should name something or not,and yes Paul i watched its development with anticipation ,from the start the seedling just stood out ,and thats the joy of doing a bit of breeding ;watching it all come together ,Cheers everyone,Jack

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Jack, I have a nice long screwdriver that just might do the trick! ;-)

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Thank you Lisa ,feel free to come over and do so,and you can stay for a while ,am sure we'll have a lot to talk about while the pups grow hmmm?

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Here's Vr.fosteriana 'White Bands' (red form) from the side, its almost identical on both sides wich is a bit unusual,

{{gwi:485723}}

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Sure thing, Jack! I will await the receipt of 2 round-trip first class plane tickets in the mail (gotta bring my husband too, right?) ;-)

Actually, it would be a shame not to let her bloom. If it were me, I'd probably self it. I have a feeling that lovely streaky pattern will be further enhanced in some of the F2s.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Sure thing Lisa,tickets in mail now Hah hah ,but you are right , some of the F2's will hand down the streaky pattern ,and i have found with F2's that some enhance the features,and become quite dominant in further crossings so will let her bloom , Jack

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Jack,

Still you keep them coming, what a great looking plant.

Lisa, while you're over here you and hubby are welcome to come and visit us also.

All the best, Nev.

• brom_todd
    14 years ago

I've really enjoyed the nice pics in this thread. So I thought I'd join the craze and take a trip to the dark side of the brom...

{{gwi:485726}}
    Wee fulla taking advantage of the bands on a V. fosteriana hybrid

{{gwi:485728}}
    Neo Julian Nally (often underrated imho)

{{gwi:485731}}
    V. Kiwi Autumn

{{gwi:485733}}
    V. platynema Var

{{gwi:485735}}
    V. Kiwi Sunset

{{gwi:485738}}
    V. Kiwi Summer

Cheers, Todd

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Good show Tod ,like the spider ,its nice to see stuff from the 'other side' of the plants and the world,so i have posted one more. Jack

{{gwi:485741}}

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions