Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
udo69

I have a quiz too..

udo69
14 years ago

Hello All,

Somebody start a quiz about a name. It's fun. One fo my hybrid is first flowering this month. i would bring it to the quiz.

This plant is bigeneric from 2 different genera. The questions are ;

1. What are genera of it's parents?

2. Who is it's mother?

I think we have so many expert here in GW. Let's start the game ;-)

Cheers

Yong

{{gwi:485780}}

{{gwi:485783}}

{{gwi:485785}}

Comments (9)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

One parent is a Neo, but which one? My N. macrosepala is blooming now, and has similar color and texture, so I'll guess that.

The other parent........ I was thinking Aechmea, but none of them seem to quite fit. Maybe a Hohenbergia, like H. burle-marxii?

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Good one Yong , thats a nice plant ,i would expect a result like that from Ae.chaninii x Neo rosy morn or tesmanii x rosy morn But its not field so its only my expectation, Jack

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Yong - your bigeneric hybrid has great appeal to me. My guess is that it is a xNeomea, but I have no idea what its specific parents might be. Maybe Aechmea aquilega or chantinii or tessmanii for one parent?

Want to give us some more clues?

K

• udo69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Lisa, Jack and Kerry,

This plant is my hybrid done 5 years ago. Parts of parents you guess are right. It's a x Neomea.

I will give some clues.

The mother is a popular colorful hybrid created by Grant Grove many many years ago and still be popular today. It has violet pink color.

The father is a popular species that is very popular in hybridization programs. It's easy to cross with others plants.

He He He!! Is it difficult enough for you all, the expert? ;-b

Cheers
    Yong

• graykiwi
    14 years ago

Yes, it is a lovely plant Yong...

How about Neo. Grace x Ae. Tessmannii then ???

Cheers Graeme

PS: Awesome new Carcharodon photos too in your other posting, great to see all the different forms. Thanks !

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Is the inflorescence fully open, Yong? That's what is throwing me off here. While Neos do pull the inflorescence of the other parent back when used in a bigeneric cross, they usually don't pull it quite that far back unless it was short to begin with. Most of the xNeomeas I've seen have mound-like clusters of flowers with some coloration to give you a clue. The inflorescence on yours is so colorless and so deep in the throat, I thought the other parent must have a short green or white inflo. Your hints are making me think chantinii, though. Or fasciata?

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Yong,

Nice plant, but as for your questions, I haven't a clue but I watch your quiz with great interest.

Thanks for the pic's, all the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi yong I will have a second guess,and go for Neo.grace x passion)x Aech. tessmanii .but as i said its not my field.but a great plant any way. Jack

• udo69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello All,

Excellent Lisa!!!! You still be an expert. Yeb,the inflorescence is not fully open. This plant just start flowering last 2 weeks. The flower will emerge from its cup next week and will show the colorful bract as you expect. I will post the fully open flower later.

Good guesswork all. The father is inbetween those 3 species mentioned and you all come within the mother. ;-b

Cheers
    Yong

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA
More Discussions