Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bromelaid dying

Posted by rgolden1125 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 9:57

Hey all!

I'm new to bromeliads. I bought my first about a month ago. Last night I was moving the little guy and the entire top part of the plant just kinda fell off... Pretty sure its either crown rot or root rot. Smells funky and it was mush where everything met. I have two leaves left and what I'm assuming is the crown of the plant? Is there anyway its salvageable to at least get pups? Pretty sure it's a Vriesea. The flower is/was yellow and red. Also wondering what caused this and how I can prevent this from happening in the future.

This post was edited by rgolden1125 on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 22:44

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bromelaid dying

Too much water? How often did you water it.
You can spray with a fungicide but make sure it is one without copper. May be lucky.

This post was edited by sunshine_qld on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 4:27

o

It was watered probably twice in the last month? maybe three times? Is that too much?

I will try the fungicide. Anything to recommend? I have neem oil handy.

o

A picture would be better. It could have been sick when you bought it and just now showing the damage.

o

Here's a picture of the half that broke off...

o

And here is what's left of the base of the plant. Both these pictures were taken right after the top broke off :(

o

Does that red dish you have the stand in hold water?
I would put it aside, and hopefully it may send out a couple of pups.

o

Ahhh yes.There wasn't much water in the dish after watering but that would make sense nonetheless. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Ill ditch the dish. Any way I could help the poor lil guy? (other than letting it dry out and not watering lol)

o

Thats about all you can do now. If the potting mix is very soggy maybe repot it.

o
RE: Bromeliad dying

I ended up repotting the bromeliad last night with half peat moss & half perlite. The potting mix that it was in was VERY soggy and I haven't watered it in over a week. Wouldn't doubt if that was my issue. Ill keep my fingers crossed that it survives enough to make pups. Thank you for all your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here