Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More mini Neos

Posted by neomea Durban Z11 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 31, 09 at 10:13

Hi Guys
I mentioned in the other mini thread that I had done a hybrid between Neo lilliputiana and Pinstripe. Andrew was keen on a pic so here it is below...My camera is not the best but that is the best shot I could get. It is a small little chap.

Photobucket

Below is another of my mini Neo hybrids, the first pup and the colour is much improved from the mother plant.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More mini Neos

I'll bet #1 doesn't stay small, Dennis. I know someone who has made repeated attempts to use lilliputiana to reduce the size of the other parent, but they almost always come out closer to the larger parent in size. And Pinstripe is one big buggah!

o

Hey Lisa.....You burst my bubble! Oh well lets wait and see. The little one next to that is a lilliXchar tiger. I actually have the same X which I think was done by Michael K. Its a nice small plant with broad leaves...

Cheers

Dennis

o

Yeah Lisa, way to burst our bubble! Ha ha. I was really looking forward to a wee little guy with those great pinstripes. I had this cute little 4" plant with the same pinstripes in my head. Eventually if you do it enough times you may be able to do it, right? Shuffle the genes to randomly throw in the stripes with shuffling out the 'big' genes? Sounds like quite a challenge. Well, I guess enjoy it while its striped and still small Dennis! And keep us posted as it grows and develops.
-andy

o

Sorry to burst your bubbles, guys, but genes aren't exactly random. When it comes to small vs large, large almost always dominates. If you want small, you have to cross small with small, which is why the little guys don't have the same range of colors and patterns as their larger brethren. I've been working on trying to change that, and so have plenty of others, but it's a real challenge, let me tell you!

o

Hi guys!

I will do Andy-should start moving a bit quicker now that Spring is here...will post progress report in a good few months again.

Lisa- I must say that your pinstripe really does transfer its radial lines beautifully, my Good for Grace X Pinstripe seedlings are also showing good stripping. I did Code Red X Pinstripe but they are still a bit small to tell.

Cheers

Dennis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here