Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Create a bromeliad log

Posted by Ourarka none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 11:48

I am hoping for some advice about creating a bromeliad/epiphyte log in my conservatory. I have a piece of hardwood branch, which fits the space perfectly. It would be in a shady spot, but obviously gets quite warm and dry in there .... particularly in summer.

I had experimented with some Tillandsias this year, using some moss as a substrate but this is impossible to keep moist enough and so quickly dies. I feel it needs something on the wood to 'latch' on to, but can't find any artificial moss in the UK.

Does anyone have any general advice regarding mounting, good species choices and general care?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Create a bromeliad log

I can't be of help with advice on general care, or good specie choices. Because your space gets quite dry and warm, I presume you will be watering or misting regularly? Maybe (some possible ideas with your branch) you could cover your hardwood branch with tree fern which might/or/might not work for moisture retention. Another possibility would be to use epiweb/hygrolon. This product does very well with 'wicking' water. It also does a very good job retaining moisture with regular misting if not used for 'wicking'. Another suggestion (has worked well for me in the past) is to tightly wrap the branch with long-fibre sphagnum. With regular misting, it too will retain moisture fairly well.

o

Thanks O2tiller - I had never heard of epiweb but looks like it may be the answer! I would be regularly misting but couldn't do it so often that I could keep normal substrates (such as moss) damp. I think the epiweb, perhaps with a moss over the top, might be worth trying (its not too expensive if it doesnt work).

o

Dont forget critical air circulation

o

Yes, conservatory is a frequent 'walkway' with big doors either end so air circulation shouldn't be a problem, especially March-November.

o

I have looked in to the hygrolon, and it does look good. I think if I could establish a moss on it, then that would act as a good mounting substrate for some bromeliads/epiphytes giving them not only something to 'grab' on to, but also raising the local humidity.

Does anyone know of a moss that would work well - conservatory is frost free but cool on cloudy winter days?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here