Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tillandsia id's

Posted by crueltyfre 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 31, 09 at 12:01

While out taking pictures of that noid brom (last post), I noticed the tags on my tillandsia are all faded. I had the names inside so I know what I have, but not sure which is which now. I'm hoping you can help with this again.
I know I have T. bergeri, caput-medusae, stricta hard leaf form, and bulbosa purple form...but which is which? Thanks,
Lori

Tillandsia Bergeri

Tillandsia

Tilandsia

all four-
Tillandsia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tillandsia id's

#1 is stricta and #3 is bergeri, Lori.

#2 is throwing me because it doesn't have the red bracts I normally associate with either bulbosa or caput-medusae. The foliage looks more bulbosa-like to me, but perhaps I'd better leave it to the experts.

o

Thanks. Now, off to make tags for those two that won't fade!
Lori

o

#2 bulbosa, bottom plant in #4 caput-m.

o

Re tags which don't fade. A soft lead pencil works best for most of us, on a slightly textured tag. They can be erased with a rubber, for re-use, but should remain legible out in the elements.
From my own experience, there is no such thing as a "permanent" marker.

Kerry :)

o

Kerry,
Whenever possible I use the aluminum tags for tills. After impressing the ID in the metal I slip them them through pin hooks which are stuck into the back of the cork from which my Tillandsias are attached. They are hidden behind the cork when the plants are hung on lattice, as I like to say, "Outta Sight!"

o

Hi All,

I've a litttle story, not about broms., but about name tags.

Gonz, your mention about aluminium tags sends shivers down my spine, as years ago when I was first staring out in orchids I used these tags on all my plants.

As was the custom then, the young plants were all topped up with a dose of fowl manure in spring to hurry up the growth a bit.

Six months down the track when I was checking a name, I pulled the tag out and just the bit above the surface of the pot came out; the fowl manure had disolved the tag below the surface!

The moral of the story, aluminium tags and fowlsh don't mix.

All the best, Nev.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here