Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
$4.00 Brom ID Please

Posted by gardenbear1 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 12:57

This is my $4.00 brom with 4 pups and it needs a ID, all I would like is to know if its a Bill or some other type
Thanks for the help

Bear

This is the pot I want to put it in

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: $4.00 Brom ID Please

Rather than pot up, those pups are about ready for individual pots. Is there evidence of the flower being cut off on the mother plant? If so, momma is on her way out.

Looks like Aechmea fasciata to me.

tj

o

Thanks for the ID, I know the momma plants on its way out but for now it will go into the big pot

o

Hi everyone,

Yes bear, I think tj's on the money with Aechmea Fasciata for the name.

You have a couple of options for what to do, firstly as tj says you can remove the pups and pot them up each in their own pot. Personally I like to wait until they are larger and have some roots before I would remove them, but then that's my choice and each grower has their own ideas of what to do and how to do it.

Secondly, as the pups are draining the mother plant which will eventually die anyway, you could also just pot them on. i.e. just plant the whole plant as is, (Mother, pups and all) into a larger pot with a bit of high K fertilizer.

As the mother dies, just cut away any dead leaves until eventually there will be nothing left and the pups will have grown large enough to fill the space left by the mother.

With a bit of luck you will possibly finish up with a nice specimen plant which when mature will possibly reward you with four nice inflorescences all at the same time. - The choice is yours.

All the best, Nev.

o

I think I like to keep them all together and let the mother plant die out over time, I like the way it looks right now and can't wait until the pups get bigger.
Thanks for all the help you guys are great.

Bear

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here