Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferinfl

Large bromeliad for shade area, zone 9B?

jenniferinfl
11 years ago

I've found quite a few large bromeliads that like sun, but none so far that are marked as liking shade. I'm trying to plant a side of my house all tropical themed and would really like some bromeliads incorporated, but, would like them to be tall enough to see after the other foliage grows in. Think like Aechmea blanchetiana size, anything like that for heavy shade?

Comments (9)

• hotdiggetydam
    11 years ago

Check out Alcantera

• splinter1804
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Jennifer, I find that most brom's need good light to bring out the best foliage colour. The best plants I have found for shady areas are Nidulariums; they grow well and there is a good variety of different coloured foliage even variegated ones as well. The coloured bracts last for ages, but alas they won't satisfy the height requirement you seek. I guess you just can't have the best of both worlds.

All the best, Nev.

• chinchette
    11 years ago

Splinter, is partial shade okay for broms , in terms of getting color?

• hotdiggetydam
    11 years ago

Partial shade is good on some plants especially if its morning sun. A lot of the Grant Groves Neo hybrids do very well in partial shade.

• splinter1804
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I haven't visited since my last post and have only just seen your question chinchette, however my friend HDD seems to have answered you question anyway.

Generally speaking I have found where I live here in Australian that there is a brom for every situation; from plants such as Ae. Recurvata which will tolerate full summer sun without burning right through to Nidulariums which do well in shady areas. As HDD says, morning sun is good; this is because you have sufficient light to promote the colour without the heat which causes burning in some of the more heat sensitive plants.

The Recurvata plants in the pic below get full uninterrupted sun from about 11.00am in the morning right through to 4.30 in the afternoon which is the hottest part of the day. As well as this they have the reflection from a white weatherboard house as well as the heat reflected from the surrounding paving, and still suffer no heat damage. So I guess it's just a matter of selecting the correct plant for the particular area.

{{gwi:438424}}

On the other hand these plants are growing in a shadier area of the yard beneath 75% green shade cloth. This picture was taken during winter and the colour isn't as good as it is later in the year, but they still do well under these conditions as well.

{{gwi:449249}}

All the best, Nev.

• chinchette
    11 years ago

Thanks HDD and Nev. Very nice looking Broms.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I have a very large Aechmea that's doing well in shade. It's been in the shade for 2-3 years now. Don't know the name, though - maybe maculata.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:487731}}

• rednofl
    11 years ago

Hi Jennifer I have found that Vriesea Gigantica do well in shaded areas. They dont get as big as blanchetiana but In pots they may do the trick. They are slower growing and probably more cold sensitive but beautiful Broms none the less.

• hotdiggetydam
    11 years ago

Raised urn pots could give you height and add interest to the planting. Gives you a larger choice of plants also.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions