Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

My 'Little Surprise'

splinter1804
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

When I was watering yesterday I spied this among my various plants of Ae. recurvata.

Closer inspection revealed it was one of three unflowered seedling I had purchased about four years ago from our Brom Society sales table.

According to the name tags, the crossing was Ae recurvata x caudata.

{{gwi:488071}}

{{gwi:488072}}

{{gwi:488073}}

{{gwi:488075}}

I'll post some more pic's when the flowers open.

All the best, Nev.

Comments (9)

• User
    14 years ago

{{gwi:443270}}

• vriesea
    14 years ago

well Nev,we could all do with a few little surprises like that,thats very nice ,and love the colour, Jack

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Wonderful photos of a beautiful plant, Nev. Thanks for the treat.

Hmmm...it looks very like a Buchanan recurvata cultivar, originally named Blaze, but now sold as Blush (unregistered). I don't know if any other species was involved in its creation.
    Your beauty, and Blaze/Blush, don't look like they have any caudata influence there...?

Looking forward to the flowers of your lovely surprise.

K

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

I'm not seeing any caudata in there either, Nev, but that is certainly a knockout! Enjoy it while it lasts!

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi guys

Yes, one of my favorites for this time of year.
    If nobody can see any Ae. caudata as a parent, can you see Ae. orlandiana in the mix & why or why not, as recurvata seems to be very dominant when used as a parent ???.

Check Ae. Big Ben & Ae. Inky on FCBS

Pinkbroms

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Nev,

What a ripper! Just love the shape and colour combo. And those pics are just great - thanks for showing them. If my little pup of 'Blush' ends up looking anything like that, I'll be delighted, and if you ever feel the need to get rid of excess pups ....... Cheers, Paul

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

That's interesting, Pinkbroms. I'm not seeing orlandiana, but I checked Big Ben and Inky and I have to say I'm not really seeing the orlandiana in those either. On the other hand, they clearly didn't self, so.....?????

My own experience with recuvata v. benrathii is that it makes a good pollen parent but rarely sets seed, either with its own or any other pollen. The recurvatas and recurvata hybrids do intermingle fairly well, and you can get a full rainbow of colors as a result. If you cross them with other things, though, you usually lose the color at anthesis, so I'm a bit suspicious of those supposed orlandiana hybrids. Recurvata does tend to be fairly dominant, but the other parent usually leaves its mark too, and I'm not seeing that.

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi Guys

Lisa, the reason why I threw orlandiana into the equation was to get other opinions, because the plant KBT mentioned, Buchanan's sold this plant as Ae. Blush under formula of Ae. recurvata x orlandiana, I have always doubted this parentage & considered the plant to be a match to what I have as Ae. recurvata Cardinalis ex Ruby Ryde (Sydney), I grow them together & I can't pick them apart. They both self & I have grown them both from seed & they grow true, that indicates species to me.
    I tend to feel the same for Splinters plants, they are seed grown & appear to have links to Ae. Cardinalis grown true from seed without outside interference. As Lisa points out, no colour loss at anthesis, I say, this one glows in the dark.

Ae. Scarlet Gem is a Caudata x recurvata var. ortgiesii hybrid of Grace Goodes, but it's not in this group of plants in question here I don't feel.

Pinkbroms

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just out of interest, here's pic's of the other two seedlings.

They took on a totally different leaf form altogether and were garden grown (and a bit rough looking due to the strong winds), but they are very tough like recurvata also.

{{gwi:488077}}

{{gwi:488079}}

All the best, Nev.