Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name confirmation please

Posted by splinter1804 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 16:51

Hi everyone,

I have a Billbergia in flower with a very hard to read name tag.

I think it says "Bill. Amoena CV Bill Mc. Williams", is there such a plant and is this it?

I don't know where I got it from and I can't find it on the FCBS Photo Index and none of my local friends know of it either.

Photobucket

Photobucket

one

Can anyone out there help with its ID?

Thanks in advance, all the best, Nev

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name confirmation please

Nev, there is a B. amoena 'ED McWilliams'. 2 Bills don't make an Ed! ;-)

There is a photo of it on FCBS, but judging by the strappy green foliage, that one must have been grown in deep shade. Grown in good light, it should look just like yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: B. Ed McWilliams

o

Nice photos of a well-grown bill, Nev.

Lisa - I know we discussed this billbergia in an old thread, re Sander's plant. Do you think 'Ed McWilliams' is the same plant as in Derek's photo of Bill. amoena 'Red Form' on FCBS? I've been umming and arring whether to change my labels to Mr Ed.

K

o

Jeez, Kerry, I can't tell from Derek's photo whether that's amoena v. rubra or Ed McW. He doesn't say what var. of amoena it is, and you can't see the form or what the leaf tips are doing, which is the best indicator. Do you have a photo of yours?

According to the registry, Mr. Ed is a cv. of amoena v. amoena, but it is very close in appearance to a. v. rubra. Both are stoloniferous and smooth with no scurf to speak of. The main difference that I can see is that Ed's foliage has an arching habit, like a fountain, whereas v. rubra forms an upright vase-like rosette. That's not just growing conditions. Also the colors on Eddy are more saturated (assuming he gets enough light), in fact the leaf tips are kind of prone to turning hot pink and curling up. Not as tough a bird as ol' Ruby. The inflorescence looks about the same, but Ed's seems a bit smaller and much more likely to abort (at least for me).

One of these days I'll have to see if I can get a pic of the two side by side. I got my Ed McW from Bird Rock, but I notice they're calling it amoena v. amoena (Red) now. Wonder why? Their pic is pretty accurate:

Here is a link that might be useful: B. amoena v. amoena (Red) - Bird Rock

o

Thanks for that extra info, Lisa.
Here are some photos of mine, and like Nev's, they are flowering now - although these photos were taken of previous years' flowering. The colour varies slightly, but they are all the same variety.
I only grow the one kind, so I don't have anything to compare it with first hand.
That is strange that Bird Rock changed their name - maybe someone has snuck in another reclassification?

I think I'm still leaning towards Mr Ed, but then a horse is a horse, of course, of course!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

K

o

Kerry - I WANT ONE!

o

The Ed McWilliams shown on FSBS has the purple coloration on the tips extending further into the petals than Nev's plant is showing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here