Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avane_gw

New Plants

avane_gw
15 years ago

I got a couple of new broms recently that I am very excited about and I would like to share them with you all! Some, or most, might be ordinary to you but for me they are quite special.

I always wanted a Yang, but could not get myself so far as to get, but here it is now:

Neo Yang:

{{gwi:488363}}

And then I got a Predatress as Predator looks quite a lot like Milagro, but I was so impressed with the lady that I got her husband as well:

Neo Predatress and Predator:

{{gwi:488365}}

And when I saw the name, I could not resist it - Chester. The plant developed as a sport from Pink on Black.

Neo Chester:

{{gwi:488368}}

And some one showed a picture of a mature plant on GardenWeb not so long ago, and I decided I must have it. And I quite like the appearance of the pup at the moment with those prominent bands on the underside of the still very narrow leaves,

Aech phanerophlebia Rubra:

{{gwi:488371}}

Also some variegated Aech fasciatas,

Aech fasciata albo-marginata, Sangria a-m, and fasciata variegata:

{{gwi:488374}}

And I had to have some of Lisa's Billbergias, I just hope I can grow them to perfection.

Bill Royal Blood & Smokestack:

{{gwi:488377}}

And quite a story behind this one, but the main thing is, I have it now!

Neo David & Sherlette:

{{gwi:488379}}

And since the first picture of this one was showed on the GW, I wanted it,

Neo Groves Red Tiger:

{{gwi:488382}}

And one of my favourite group of plants, the carcharodons.

Rainbow, Silver, Giant, species Brazil:

{{gwi:488385}}

And of course there must be a Vriesea in this group. Quite young still but already looking stunning!

Vr glutinosa:

{{gwi:488387}}

Japie

Comments (18)

• User
    15 years ago

Ahem (cough, cough). No tills Japie?
    Your plants are fine as usual. Groves RT is killer! Is it available?

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Very nice plants Japie
    FYI Chester isn't a sport of pink on black..its from the same grex and another long story on the plant

• atmccmn
    15 years ago

Japie, they all look very nice. I especially love your Neo. Yang. It's one of my favorite too.
    The Aec. phanerophlebia rubra is a stunner too, but rather quite nasty with it's sharp spines around. I have to wear gloves to handle this one. See that you've got a series of carcharodons there. Definetely worth keeping.
    Thanks for sharing with us your new plants. They look familiar too. I see yellow tag! :-)

• ozvon
    15 years ago

Whoa! What bank did you rob?! What a beautiful collection...particularly Red Tiger.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Reeeeeally nice haul Japie!

It's funny how the ones we can't get easily, are the ones we want the most. I am so jealous of your Chester and G.R.T. and carcharodon stash and...and...and...! Like Ozvon said, we'd need to rob a bank to get some of those - and yet the very lovely V. glutinosa is in surplus supply in Oz, and gets turned in on eBay.
    Remember to grow that red phano in very strong light to keep its red toning. I love that brom.
    Knowing your love of the variegated neos, you must be over the moon Japie :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Cheers,
    Kerry

• jaga
    15 years ago

Japie,
    Another nice haul, all of these will be very nice plants, looks to us as if your running out of space!!. We have done lots of crosses with 'Carcharodon Tiger' and hope for sim results to that red tiger.

• mike4284m
    15 years ago

Many of those are on my wanted list too! We must have seen the same picture of Ae. phanerophlebia that Chanin posted recently.

Any chance you could take a solo shot of the Neo. carcharodon 'Giant'? Does it have some banding at the base of the leaves? I've picked up a carcharodon from someone that lost the tag and I think that might be it.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

That's a lovely specimen of Yang, Japie. Did that arrive squashed in a box? You'd never know it to look at it!

Likewise your GRT is showing much better color than mine. I didn't know it had red tips. Love that plant! Too bad it's a mule.

• neomea
    15 years ago

Eish Japie! That is an awesome haul there meneer!

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gonzer, I had 2 Tills on my order, but neither was available. I was specially looking forward to get a T durati. Maybe soon!
    HDD, according to Michael, Chester developed as a sport out of a Pink on Black that Skotak sent to Brazil and they decided to name it in his honour.
    I cannot wait for our sun to get a bit more of a punch, Kerry, to start colouring up some of my plants! Be sure the red phano will get it's fair share!
    Mike I'll get a picture of Giant for you. It has some zonation at the base of the plant.
    Lisa, it looks like laundry day here when I unpack plants! Unfortunately I do not have a 'before and after' of Yang but this is how car x Painted Lady turned out after an hour or two with washing pegs to straighten out the leaves while pouring water over the whole plant every couple of minutes:
    {{gwi:488389}}
    {{gwi:488391}}
    Thanks every one for the nice comments!

Japie

• sander_s
    15 years ago

Good score Japie!

Whasing pegs??? Tell us more about that technique, or is it a trade secret?

Sander

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No trade secret Sander! I just straighten out the leaves of the plants and keep in that position with the pegs and only then start to water the plants. What I found if I re-hydrate them after a long journey, they keep most of that folded and scrunched up look for months before they out grow it:
    {{gwi:488393}}

And here are your pictures of Giant, Mike:
    {{gwi:488396}}
    {{gwi:488397}}

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Japie,

Great looking plants, handy tip about the pegs - I wouldn't have thought that Neo would have recovered like that.

Rick

• brom_phil
    15 years ago

lol never would have thought that pegs would fix that problem, but it would look funny seeing half a dozen broms covered in pegs

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Japie, According to Chester he gave the plant to someone, some time later found it propogated, being sold as Chester and when he asked for one he was told was 150 or 250 bucks to buy one...he passed...

• sander_s
    15 years ago

Good trick. I will remember that one.
    Thanks.

Sander

• mike4284m
    15 years ago

Thanks Japie. I think we've got a winner. I'll have to start another thread to see what you guys think.

Those carcharodons are huge by the way. Michael really hooked you up.

• udo69
    15 years ago

Hi Japie,

Very good looking plants. I like those banded carcharodon and Aech phanerophlebia Rubra.

Hmm. That is a very good trick, washing pegs to straighten out the leaves. I will try to.

Have fun.
    Yong

Sponsored
More Discussions