Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bromadams

Spines...fun?

bromadams
14 years ago

I enjoyed Lisa's quiz and I'm awaiting the answer to #10 since I got that plant last winter and still don't know what it is. I was thinking Quesnelia but that's wrong.

I took these pictures back in March and I couldn't even identify my own pictures a few days later, so I stopped taking them. #1 is easy while #3 is a red herring.

{{gwi:488649}}

{{gwi:488651}}

{{gwi:488653}}

#4a

{{gwi:488655}}

#4b

{{gwi:488658}}

{{gwi:488660}}

Comments (14)

• devo_2006
    14 years ago

Excellent macro shots...but you could give us a little more to work on ;-)

I'll take a punt...

#1 Neo. Yin
    #2 Aechmea?
    #3 One of your bigenerics, say Bill x Neo
    #4 a & b pic's of the upper & lower leaf of a terrestrial?
    #5 Hechtia?

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, #1 was easy. #2, #3 and #4 are Aechmea species while #5 is a small Neoregelia cultivar. Honestly, I don't know how you would be able to tell what they are.

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Whoa Nick! Great photos, but so obscure!

My eyes don't selectively focus as much as a macro lens, and I don't wear my reading glasses out in the garden...so I never actually see anything like that in real life.

I have no idea what they are, but I like looking at them.

BTW - Lisa's #10 is apparently Neo. princeps (different to the oft confused Neo. carolinae var. princeps).

K

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Jeez, they're a lot harder when you don't already know the answers! These are more macro than my shots too.

Well, #5 looks like Neo. Punctate Red (or possibly Tunisia) but the Aechmeas.....
    I'll guess Ae. bromeliifolia for #2. Either that or pineliana.
    #3 is giving me fits! No clue.
    #4 Ae. macrochlamys?

• mike4284m
    14 years ago

#5 looks like Neo. 'Tunisia'.

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

And I'll take a shot at #4 - Aech bracteata.

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Nick, love the pics. Great to see them even if I don't have a clue what they are!

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Love the shots,but apart from Number 1 i am lost, i am with Kerry on this one, but great shots ,Jack

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Japie, you got #4 right, and actually, #2 is also bracteata. Lisa and Mike you got #5 as Tunisia.

#3 is a shot of cold damage on an Ae rubens.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Do you have a larger shot of your bracteata, Nick? The spine shape of #4 is certainly characteristic, but I can't recall seeing one where the spines were darker than the rest of the leaf.

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is the same plant on the same day as the #4 pictures. I think that the trichomes can make the black spine look dull. Who knew there were trichomes on the spines?

I tried to cross this with a triple genus overload and luckily something ate the seed pods so I don't have to grow anything out. I may try again in a year or two but this isn't my favorite plant to work with.

{{gwi:488662}}

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Nick,

Is your Ae.Bracteata something special or just grown well?

It looks a lot better than any of the photos on FCBS.

Cheers,

Rick

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got that plant from Tropiflora a while back and it has never looked all that good to me although that is a very flattering photo. My neighbor has a better looking clone and I grabbed some seeds from that and grew a few.

Here is an 11 month old seedling from the neighbor's plant:
    {{gwi:436765}}

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Nick,

Thanks for the reply, I love the colour and form.

Rick