Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alan_b

Tillandsia oerstediana

alan-b
16 years ago

Does anyone have information about Tillandsia oerstediana? Mine is about to flower, and I would like information about seeds, kekis, and possibly division. Thanks, Alan

Comments (25)

• User
    16 years ago

Alan, I have not grown this species so I'm no help. Best bet is to contact Harry Luther by way of the Selby Gardens in Florida.
    hluther@selby.org

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

I treat mine like a Vriesea and it seems happy

• alan-b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks ...my more specific questions:
    1.Will it form keikis? 2. There is debate about habitat. I am very interested in duplicating habitiat for my collectionof bromeliads and other epiphytes, and I need as much information as possible. Is it epiphytic?

Alan

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

ask Harry as gonzer suggested

• atmccmn
    16 years ago

Alan, enjoy your inflorescence while it last. This plant is monocarpic!

p.s: And not forgetting to share with us too.

• alan-b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help. I seem to have a collection of monocarpic bromeliads...T. eizii, T prdigiosa, T. violacae,as well as many alcantgareas. Enjoy life while you can!!

• User
    16 years ago

Alan, what is a "keiki"? That's a new term for me.
    Often you'll find a Tillandsia for sale on e-bay that shows a beautiful inflorescence with a steep price tag and many bidders. Only problem, the seller doesn't state that the plant is monocarpic. Great buy huh?

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

gonzer thats a word for baby..pup..offset

• bob740
    16 years ago

Hi all....which leads to a question .
    (see definitions below)
    The question is: If a brom is monocarpic,does it ALSO mean that it will NOT develop offsets?
    Bob

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Monocarpic plants are those that flower, set seeds and then die.

The plant can live a number of years before it will flower. Flowering does not by itself result in the death of the plants but the production of fruits and seeds causes changes within the plants which lead to death. These changes are induced by chemicals that act as hormones, redirecting the resources of the plants from the roots and leaves to the production of fruits and or seeds.

The Century plant in the genus Agave, some terrestrial bromeliads of the genus Puya, some yuccas in the genus Yucca, and many Bamboos can take 8 to 20 years or in the case of bamboos even over 100 years to bloom and then die. Often monocarpic plants can be kept alive after flowering if the flowers are removed as soon as they are done blooming, before seed formation begins, or if the flower buds are removed before they begin blooming.

[ See also
    Polycarpic, a plant that flowers and sets seeds many times during its lifetime.
    Hapaxanth, a plant that flowers only once in its lifetime
    Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocarpic";
    Category: Plant morphology
    =

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

Bob thats what I have always thought..mono meaning one plant only ..no pups

• avane_gw
    16 years ago

And here is another definition from Anwyl Bromeliads:
    "monocarpic
    Only one method of reproduction. Used to refer to tillandsias, usually larger tank-type varieties, that normally set seed easily but do not produce conventional offsets. These plants do often produce numerous small seedling-like adventitious offsets when they are quite young. These adventitious offsets do not develop on the parent plant unless the parent is severely damaged prior to flowering, and die off when the plant comes into flower. In cultivation the adventitious offsets can usually be removed prior to flowering and grown on like seedlings."

• treehaus
    16 years ago

Bob, I think these designations (monocarpic, hapaxanthic, and polycarpic) have to do strictly with sexual reproduction, or refer strictly to types of flowering as opposed to other productive strategies, like producing clones. If bromeliads do not bloom more than once, they're not polycarpic, if they bloom just once in a life time they could be hapaxanthic, but if they flower/fruit once and then die, then they are monocarpic. Carpic, Greek Karpos = fruit. I used to think all Bromeliads were monocarpic, but that is not the case.

• treehaus
    16 years ago

I have heard the term "Keiki" used among orchid growers a lot. I think it means "child" in the Hawaiian language, but what circumstances led to its appropriation by botanists or orchid growers I have no idea, though that would be very interesting to know. Keikis on orchids usually form on stolons or inflorescences after an orchid blooms, or in place of blooms. I think that'd be a good term for those Bromeliads whose offspring appear on an inflorescence, but I like "pups" for those plants whose offsets emerge from the base of the plant.

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

You're right, treehaus, keiki means child, and is widely used here to refer to any plant offset, whether it be bananas, orchids, bromeliads, etc. I only got into the habit of saying "pup" after hanging out here for a while-- if I say that locally people look at me like I'm crazy, or correct me! ;-)

I'm assuming that because there are so many Hawaiian orchid growers and hybridizers, that's how it came into general use in orchid circles, but unfortunately some people on the Mainland have taken to misspelling it (and mispronouncing it) "kiki". It's pronounced KAY-kee.

• alan-b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the discussion. Keiki seems to be the accepted word for any offset, whether it occurs at the base or on the inflorescence. I hope that there is a way to induce keiki formation among the monocarpic bromeliads, using giberillic acid, injury, or some other substance. Does anyone know about this? Regarding T. oerstediana, has anyone any experience with seeds? My environment is good for growing seedlings outside, with rainfall at 160 inches a year, and altitude of 1600 feet. This is an interesting forum. Thanks again.

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

What island are you on, Alan? You might try contacting Ron Parkhurst (Maui) or David Shiigi (Big Island) and ask them about inducing aerial keiki formation on the inflorescence. I seem to recall they were doing some experimenting with propagating Werrauhia sanguinolenta that way, but I can't remember what chemical they were using.

Seed would be another way, but if oerstediana is like most Tillandsias I would expect them to be extremely slow.

• alan-b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lisa,
    I am on Oahu, at the top of Tantalus. I have had suuccess with seedlings of many species of Tilladsioidae, but some wil not set seed. My collection is varied, with over 300 species of bromeliads.

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Gee, how come I don't know you............ or do I? ;-)

• User
    16 years ago

Alan, welcome to the boards, by the way. It sounds like you have some valuable experience in the field. I look forward to any info you have had raising Tillandsias from seed.

• alan-b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the welcome. I have several tillandsia species seedligs on trees, and more Guzmania, Vriezea and Werrauhia sedlings. My Werrauhia plants are un-named and wild collected in Nicaragua in 1976, and are thriving. These seedlings require a fair amount of moisture, a solid substrate, and patience. I am new to the forum, and I have had little experience with plant clubs. My collectionis purely a hobby,yetit grows daily. Any interest in seedling exchanges?? Lisa.. we have not met, but I lookforward to future discussions, and I am hungry for habitat information for these plants.

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

You wouldn't happen to have Wer. hygrometrica, would you? I'd love to find a source for that one, either seed or a plant.

• bromeliaddict
    16 years ago

Alan, Welcome to the group!
    Lisa, We've had this discussion before. Think of me if you come across Wer. hygrometricra seeds. :-> Paul

• mike4284m
    16 years ago

Welcome to the board!

Oh those Werauhia . . how about W. ringens? If you already haven't noticed, pictures will make you popular with the cool crowd.

• atmccmn
    16 years ago

Alan, A warm welcome to you.
    Hope the link below paint a thousand words for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: T. oerstediana

• alan-b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My plant did come fromTropiflora,and i is definitely coming intospike. My Wer. is possibly W. barii, collected in 1976 near an area called Pearl Lagoon, north of Bluefields, where it was growing in mangrove and on mahogany trees, wit a diameter of 5 feet, solid green...I'll ad photos when I can.