Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ragman_gw

In search of Neo Hybridization tips

ragman
14 years ago

Hellow all. I was recommended by Bromaddict to ask my questions here, If this is the right forum he mentioned. heh. (I talked to him at the michigan brom show).

Anyway...

I've been into plants, mostly broms and orchids for about a year now. Mainly because I several tropical terrariums and Im constantly adding and taking plants from them.

thats said, Im interested in making a few brom hybrids for personal use. I have a few broms, all Neoregelia, that bloom every spring(ish). I thought it'd be neat to see what crosses I can get. I also rescently bought 6 from the brom show last weekend that, I think, would make some neat crosses.

I've done a search for what Im looking for bit didnt find all the answers im looking for.

Basically, Im looking for tips, pointers, techniques, and anything you feel would be useful to know.

Again, these would all be for personal use for myself, so no "ugly" or unwanted broms would get out there.

Thanks in Advance!

Comments (4)

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi ragman,

This site has previously posted a wealth of information on bromeliad hybridization and I'm sure if you just type 'bromeliad hybridization' into the search engine, all your questions will be answered.

Lisa would have to be the expert on Neo. hybridization on this site and I'm sure she would be happy to answer any questions you can't find suitable answers for. (There you go Lisa, now I've dropped you in it!)

Good luck with your venture. "Long Live the Hybridizer"

All the best, Nev.

• ragman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I should have specified that I Already searched on HOW to do it. Im just wondering if theres and preferred method OF Doing it. Dont want to accidentally kill the plant somehow. lol.

Im also asking if people Who have/are hybridizing If they can give me some tips and pointers that they have learned from their experience.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Thanks, Nev, but I'm hardly "the expert". We have a number of hybridizers on this forum.

I'm not sure what sort of tips you're looking for, ragman, or what the difference is between "how to do it" and "preferred method of doing it". Sounds like the same thing to me. There has been much discussion (including step-by-step instructions with photos) of the mechanics of pollination, at least for Neos. As Nev suggests, much of this info will come up if you do a forum search for "pollinating", "hybridizing", or other similar terms. If you are more interested in some of the other genera, you may have to specify which genus to get a more detailed explanation, but the same basic principles apply in any case.

If you're talking about general tips as far as what plants to use to produce what traits, that is a constant topic of conversation around here. You just have to take the time to go through the archives and read the old threads. It's a very big topic, so if you have specific questions, feel free to ask, and someone will probably answer.

In general, without knowing what it is you're trying to do, I am assuming that you want to make your own hybrids because you want to create something to fill a particular niche and the thing you're looking for doesn't already exist. If that is the case, then the first step is to identify what your goals are, such as "a small stoloniferous Neo. with red spots" or "a Vriesea with a branched yellow inflorescence", etc. Then you are more likely to get some helpful advice on where to start.

There's a lot of hybrids already out there, though, so before you invest a lot of time and energy into making more, you might want to research what has already been done. You will learn a lot this way, I do it constantly. The best place to start is by going to the FCBS website and looking at the thousands of photos in their photo index. Make a note of the parentage of the ones you particularly like, then you can use their database search engines to find other hybrids using the same species or cultivars. I highly recommend this practice, whether you're just starting out or have been at it for years, and that's the best tip I can give you at this point.

• matt15
    14 years ago

You might have already read these threads ragman but i'll post them below anyways for anybody else interested in this topic. I too have been reading alot and will start practicing my first hybrids this Spring.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bromeliad/msg0423243423944.html
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bromeliad/msg1218463426978.html

Cheers Matt

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions