Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milque_toast

What kind of a beast is this one?

milque_toast
14 years ago

Hi,

Went to HD this morning to buy some paint, the wife decided to accompany me. Well, we came home 3 hours later with the trunk full of "stuff" including this bromeliad

{{gwi:489640}}

This is our first one. The tag on pot was written by a literary genius. It says "bromeliad Bright light Keep moist". That's it. No name. no grower's ID.

Does anyone recognize it? So I can google it to see what it needs & what I can expect from it.

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

The beast looks like some form of Vriesea splendens (I'll leave it to Jack to tell you which one, as well as what it likes). It's a bit hard to see, but it looks as though the flower spike may have broken off of it. Splendens usually has a long single spike, and either you've got a young spike that is starting to branch (in which case it would be a hybrid), or you've got just the base of the inflorescence with the tip broken out. Was it marked down?

• milque_toast
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the answer. No, it's not a markdown, but this was the only one of this type. There were many different kinds in this pot size all at the same price. All of them had flowers open. This one caught my wife's eye because of variegated leaves( I must say leaves are really pretty) so she decided to buy it no matter what kind of flower it has.

Thanks again.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi milque toast ,that Vr.splendens is typical of the ones we see here in Australia a lot,mostly in Bunnings stores, yes no i.d of any kind most times,but some have (and its a mouthfull) a name ? Vriesea splendens Var, mortafontanensis Variegata on the label ,to me they look more like plendens variety splendens ,as the spikes are not that tall and a dull red ,and the plants are not large for the type ,yes your spike was broken of,the plant is well grown and to keep it that way you have to keep it humid,moist roots (not wet) medium light,and not cold ,they do fairly well inside actually as long as the air is not dry ,fertilizer ? any complete on will do or any recommended for orchids or african violets ,vrieseas like a good feed and are not to fussy about what it is ,You will get 1 -3 pups from the centre ,the norm is 2 ,they appear almost alongside the flower spike and can be tricky to remove ,you can leave them on the plant and when about half grown remove them than ,pot up separately in a open mix (such as for Cymbidium orchids) and it will do quite well,for some reason you will find scale insects right at the underside of the leaf tip ,just wipe of with some metholated spirits ,its not a problem ,and thats the only place they go. trust this answers your questions Bye Jack

• milque_toast
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Jack for ID'ing & info. Case closed. I cataloged it as Vriesea splendens.

Jeff

Sponsored
More Discussions