Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Blooms from down under.

Posted by junek-2009 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 31, 10 at 19:28

Hello Folks,

I am from Australia, South Coast of New South Wales, to-day is our first day of spring!!
On my balcony I have a pot with two wonderful blooms of Queens Tears with lots of small ones' waiting to pop out, oh how pretty and delicate this one is.

I also have a Vriesea Foseriana (I think) it is the one on the top right of the forum page. It has variegated leaves, this will be my first birth with this plant.

I am a new collector, and so enjoying these beautiful blooms.

Do we still water in the centre while they are blooming ? and is there a need to fertilise ? and what with if so??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Blooms from down under.

Hi Junek,
Welcome to the forum!! The plant in the top right of the forum page is actually aechmea fasciata. If you want to check on the fcbs website the link is below-
http://fcbs.org/pictures.htm
When you are there look to the left and click on aechmea then "F" then click on fasciata and see if that looks like yours.
Keep watering when it is flowering but i do not see the need to fertilze as it is near the end of it's life. Some people do to produce more pups.
We all love broms here, it's called "the brom bug"
dooley.

o
RE: New Blooms from down under.

Hi dooleybugs,
Thanks for your reply. I shall be interested to see how this big bloom turns out. Then I shall do the searching as you suggested.
I have notice when looking, certain TV shows, mainly in UK that Bromeliads are used as indoor plants, especially in a show Grumpy Old Women.

junek

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here