Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaclv

Tiger's stripes

LisaCLV
14 years ago

I've mentioned this on a couple of other threads, but I just wanted to show what sometimes happens with Neo. carcharodon Tiger, and see if anyone else has had the same experience.

The one on the left started out looking like the one on the right, but then the new growth started coming out without banding.

{{gwi:490136}}

It grew like that for a while, and then suddenly changed its mind:

{{gwi:490138}}

The greener color has nothing to do with it, it was just moved to another (slightly darker) shadehouse, and probably got fertilized in the process. Also, I think this was taken in winter. It's the same plant, though, and none of the other Tigers in the same conditions did this. I've got a couple new ones losing their stripes now, though. All are the same clone.

I have a similar situation with some N. Rosea Striata randomly losing the red striations and then gaining them back later (or the pups will have them). I have no idea why this is. Anyone?

Comments (9)

• udo69
    14 years ago

Hello Lisa,

Thank for sharing. Very good looking plants. ;-)

Lisa. Everything you said should be true. I remember in the history of collecting Tiger. Skotak got this 2 plants from orchid nursery in Brazil. The owner of the orchid nursery collected them from rainforest somewhare. So every Tigers in trade are from them and are definitely the same clone. I'm just curious about my plants but I forget the information about collecting Tiger.

Lisa. Are your plants from the same mother? I also hve no idea about that. My plants may be reverse to be banded one.

CHeers
    Yong

• Constantino Gastaldi
    14 years ago

Wow and wow and wow again.
    What collecting is?
    If it means to take a plant from wilderness than we should say it over... This plant was never found in nature!
    It was collected in a nursery! These plant in nature when present this color they are dwarfened and sufering from too much sun exposing. This is a cultivar or a hybrid. That is why all plants everywhere on Earth are clones.
    Nice plants indeed!

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa, no idea on the banding, but the plants in that first pic are just stunning. Thanks for showing them. Cheers, Paul

• graykiwi
    14 years ago

Hi there Lisa,
    Could it possibly be temperature related ?...then again it wouldn't explain why other plants in the same vicinity haven't done it too. Why I say that is I've had in the past various zonated and marmorated hybrid neos often throw "irregular" bands in relation to either a hot or cold snap in the weather (only needs to be a day or three), ie; related to the water temperature in the cup at the time, which then seems to mark the plant by causing some "cellular action" to occur ? I guess you've had this happen too on various Neos...but am also guessing your seasons and temperatures in Hawaii are fairly stable, so you wouldn't really get this occuring that often ? Could this plant have been in a colder draught or something than the other Tigers ?

The only other thing could be fertiliser ?... maybe some ants that thought they were clever have made a nest in its pot and horded a heap of slow release pellets as food ! haha.

...oh, and yes fabulous plants you have there too, I must say...Tiger is my all time favourite Neo. I will live in hope to finally find one for me to nurture and make look as great as yours ;-)

Cheers
    Graeme

• User
    14 years ago

Mid-life crisis?

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Vaguely related, I got a pup of what I assumed was the green form of Aechmea bromeliifolia and after putting it in really strong light it started kicking splotchy bands a la 'Crossbands' or 'Red Bands'. Seemed a bit random as it was completely green before. Whether bromeliifolia plants will have bands every once in a while and all 'Crossbands' hold their banding, no clue. But I was surprised in the sudden appearance of the bands. I'll be interested to see if mine keeps putting out the banding.

But I'm glad to see your Tiger has decided that it likes being a tiger with stripes again. Awesome looking plants.
    -andy

• LisaCLV
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gonz, I think you may be onto something...... ;-)

Actually, I wasn't really looking for an explanation, as there doesn't seem to be one. Since they are all growing under the same conditions, it obviously isn't temperature or light. If it was fertilizer the one in the first pic would look as green as the second pic, which is actually regaining its stripes at that point. I just figure this is one of Tiger's little quirks that we should be aware of, so we won't have to ask "what am I doing wrong?".

Yes, Yong, these all came from one original mother. I believe you are right that there is only one clone of Tiger. My guess is that people who think they have an inferior clone probably just have one that is acting quirky. It may be highly reactive to growing conditions too, but that's not necessarily the whole story.

Gastaldi, I'm not sure why you say this plant was not found in nature. Chester Skotak found it in a nursery, but before that it must have been wild collected by someone. It is generally recognized as being a species, not a hybrid.

Graeme, the topic of "temperature banding" has been discussed here before. Usually it occurs on marmorated Neos after they have been exposed to cooler temps, and some seem to be more prone to it than others. Many of the Neos pictured on FCBS are showing the effects of this phenomenon (check out some of Przetocki's hybrids, for example). This can be very frustrating for someone from Hawaii when we buy them and they revert to an unbanded state in our more even climate. There are a few cvs. that have a naturally banded pattern even in the tropics, but it's kind of hard to tell without trial and error. Zonation is a very different type of marking than banded marmoration, though, and I don't think I've ever seen a zonate respond that way to temperature changes. Maybe others have?

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa,

Unfortunately I don't have any of these beautiful tigers, but I can still gaze and drool at the shadehouse full of eyecatching Neo's you have shown us. It is truly amazing, and overall it covers the whole colour spectrum. Probably best described as "Lisa's Sea of Colour".

Thanks for the treat, all the best, Nev.

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Absolutely stunning specimens Lisa!
    My one and only Tiger seems to have lost most of its upper stripes, and I don't know why either. I thought I may have frosted them out, but I know that would not be your problem. I live in hope the stripes will return...

K

Sponsored
More Discussions