Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephania_gw

What should I call this spiny satin in the batch

stephania
15 years ago

Hi spiny fans (^_^)

Year ago, I did a cross between xDyckcohnia 'Conrad Morton' x Dyckia estevesii.

Most of seedlings seem to look like their seed parent 'Conrad Morton'

but there is one from 1,000 of the batch that's quite extraordinary

which should be deserved to be named.

One question, due to one of its parentage is a bigeneric,

so what is the proper generic name for this stiking guy.

{{gwi:490713}}

{{gwi:490714}}

{{gwi:490715}}

Comments (19)

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Good question, Chanin. I think it would probably still be considered xDyckcohnia, since no new genera have been added to the mix, although I suppose you could call it a xDyckconickia..... ;-)

You could ask Uncle Derek.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Nice color Chanin. The other siblings are green?

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Now that you mention it, where do you suppose it got that color? None of its ancestors have that. Was there anything else blooming nearby, Chanin?

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa & HDD (^_^)"

Actually, most of them have some grey scale.

If you take a look closer, you will see some faint of red color on 'Conrad Morton' too.
    {{gwi:490716}}

{{gwi:490718}}

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I like the scaley one too :)

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Nice double bigeneric there, Chanin! Great colour.

I agree with Lisa that it would probably still be classified as a xDyckcohnia.

If it were mine to name, I would go with xDyckcohnia 'Double-Dick Conrad'.... LOL

Cheers,
    Kerry

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

LOL Kerry...Just don't name it HDD

• udo69
    15 years ago

Great work to creat very good hybrids Pe' Pong. I should try to hybridize some spinies.

For Lisa answer about bigeneric hybrid names, I've successfully pollinated xQuesistrum claudia with Aechmea chantiniiand also with my just named xNeomea exquisita what name they should be.

Regards
    Yong

• alibaba_2008
    15 years ago

I would agree with the general consensus that it is a xDyckcohnia, if you follow the general principles that the orchid hybridizers use in naming bigeneric crosses Dyckcohnia would apply to any combination that includes Dyckia and Deuterocohnia however its parentage was derived.
    Whatever you call it it is a lovely colour.
    Ali

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

:-)) LOL Thanks Kerry, that sound TWO GOOD !

Sawasdee Krub, khun "Yong" (^_^)
    I'm pretty sure you will be hooked easily with these striking spinies.
    By the way, beyond Dyckia, I have been trying with Cryptanthus too.
    I think I got at least a variegated seedling from Cryp.'Dr Larry',
    will show you guys when it's ready.

Hi Ali, thank you for your opinion.

Here, I will show how the siblings look like...

Most of them at the bottom to the right are 'Conrad Morton' 's seeldings.
    {{gwi:490721}}

Some do look like their mom.
    {{gwi:490722}}

While some do look close to Dyckia estevesii.
    {{gwi:490723}}

A variation in the batch, though.
    {{gwi:490724}}

Chanin (^_*)

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Yong, are they mature plants, or just recently pollinated flowers? Before you start thinking of names, it's best to wait and make sure they germinate (often they don't, even if there are plenty of seeds), and then grow them out until blooming, or at least until enough traits of the various parent genera are visible, so that you can be sure it really is what it is supposed to be, and not a self-pollination.

If you really have created a tri- or quadrigeneric, I believe that as the hybridizer, you will be given the opportunity to create a name for it, provided you follow the guidelines of choosing one part of each genus name and combining them. For a bigeneric I think it has to be the first part of one genus name with the last part of the other, and it doesn't matter which was the pollen parent and which was the seed parent. I'm not sure what happens when you have 3 or 4 different genera, since nobody's ever done it, or at least nobody's ever registered one.

This has been done in orchids and other types of plants though, so probably there are rules to address it in the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature. Anyone have a copy? Kerry?

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Lisa, is this perhaps what you are looking for?

Here is a link that might be useful: International Code of Botanical Nomenclature

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Thanks, Japie, I didn't know there was an e-version!

Here we go, in APPENDIX I, Names of hybrids, Article H.6:

"H.6.4. The nothogeneric name of a trigeneric hybrid is either (a) a condensed formula in which the three names adopted for the parental genera are combined into a single word not exceeding eight syllables, using the whole or first part of one, followed by the whole or any part of another, followed by the whole or last part of the third (but not the whole of all three) and, optionally, one or two connecting vowels, or (b) a name formed like that of a nothogenus derived from four or more genera, i.e., from a personal name to which is added the termination -ara.

Ex. 6. ÃSophrolaeliocattleya Hurst (1898) (= Cattleya Lindl. à Laelia Lindl. à Sophronitis Lindl.); ÃVascostylis Takakura (1964) (= Ascocentrum Schltr. ex J. J. Sm. à Rhynchostylis Blume à Vanda W. Jones ex R. Br.); ÃRodrettiopsis Moir (1976) (= Comparettia Poepp. & Endl. à Ionopsis Kunth à Rodriguezia Ruiz & Pav.); ÃDevereuxara Kirsch (1970) (= Ascocentrum Schltr. ex J. J. Sm. à Phalaenopsis Blume à Vanda W. Jones ex R. Br.).

Recommendation H.6A

H.6A.1. When a nothogeneric name is formed from the name of a person by adding the termination -ara, that person should preferably be a collector, grower, or student of the group."

Okay, so what does this mean? A "nothogenus" is what you would call the name for a multigeneric hybrid, like xNeomea or xGuzvriesia. So, according to this, for a trigeneric you can either combine parts of all three genus names OR, if that seems too unwieldy (i.e. they don't combine well, or it's confusing, or more than eight syllables), you can do what they recommend for a hybrid of four or more genera, which is to create an entirely new name using the surname of some appropriate person and adding -ara to it.

So for a cross between xQuesistrum and Aechmea, I'm thinking xQuesistrumea would be the easiest, and still under eight syllables. For the xQuesistrum x xNeomea, you'd have to create a new name. What is your last name, Yong? I don't know if you're allowed to use that, but I don't see why not. You are "a collector, grower, or student of the group", aren't you? That's good enough for me!

So let's say Chanin crosses his xDyckcohnia with a Hechtia. He could presumeably call it a xDyckcohnechtia or maybe a xHectdyckcohnia or something along those lines, OR perhaps he could be the first to register a xThorutara!

• udo69
    15 years ago

Yes, you are right Pe'Pong. I will be enchanted by those spines. I will try to do some when I have times. Now my Dyckia marnier-lapostollei starts flowering but I do not have a spouse.

Thank Lisa for your comment. I just start sowing them. I think they should not a self-pollination. I pollinated my xQuesistrum claudia with many kinds of brom. eg Aechmeas, Neoregelias and many bigenerics but it only succeeded with those 2 plants. I should follow your advise. Wait until they start germinating and look for traits of their parents. Hope I will be succeed with a tri- or quadrigeneric. I will send you the progression of them.

Regards
    Yong

• udo69
    15 years ago

Hello Lisa,
    I just read your comment. I did not known that someone posted before me. It is a good explanation about nomenclature. You explained clearly about a "nothogenus"the name for a multigeneric hybrid.

For the first nothogenus of XQuesistrum claudia x Aechmea, the name should be xQuesistrumea as you said. For the second one, it's confusing to combined xQuesistrum with xNeomea. My sirname is Chayangsu. So it should be xChayangsuara. It's so wonderful to have a plant name after my last name. I might have a daydream because those seeds just sowed. Hope they could geminate well. Many thank Lisa.

Regards
    Yong

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Japie (#_#) I have to read a lot...

"Thorutara" That sound a very good idea for my new complex hybrid, Lisa
    but for this time, I think I will name my new hybrid in this topic as xDyckcohnia 'Siamese Satin'

That sound great Yong (^_^)
    I see, as I use to encounter the problem you mentioned
    before I got the first spouse to cross with my Dyckia marnier-lapostolei.
    Here in Thailand, I realized that it's quite hard to find another species,
    especially the blooming one to play with.
    I'm appreciated to share you some of my surplus plant of another kind.
    By the way, you should try to preserve some pollens in gel-cap
    and freeze in freezer for future use too.

This is also some of my hybrids : Dyckia marnier-lapostollei x D.estevesii.
    {{gwi:490725}}

{{gwi:490726}}

Dyckia platyphylla x D. marnier-lapostollei which turn to be spineless.
    {{gwi:490727}}

From your friend,

Chanin Thorut

• alibaba_2008
    15 years ago

Chanin, you have loads of lovely seedlings there. How easy do you find it to make crosses in Dyckia? I have just started experimenting with Dyckia crosses, and have also tried crossing Deutercohnia with Dyckia. Seed pods seem to be forming, on all the crosses I made, but I am wondering how likely it is that I will get seed that will germinate.
    Ali

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found it's very easy to cross Dyckia, but I've not yet success with Deuterocohnia.

{{gwi:490728}}

When the seed capsule start open, it's ready.
    {{gwi:490730}}

{{gwi:490732}}

Fertile seeds should look like these, and you will notice few of smaller sterile seeds.
    {{gwi:490734}}

Here is a link that might be useful: About x Dyckcohnia's seed setting

• alibaba_2008
    15 years ago

Thanks for that Chanin, that's really helpful. I am very envious of the glimpses in your photos of your collection! Such plants are very hard to come by here in the UK, either as plants or seeds. There are a few of us here who grow the spiny ones though, when we can get them!
    Ali

Sponsored
More Discussions