Houzz Logo Print
brom_todd

Aechmea ID

brom_todd
14 years ago

Hi All,

I was hoping someone might recognise this one

{{gwi:490883}}

The plant is approx 40cm across and 40 cm high. Leaves are around 5cm wide and quite dark at the bases.

I found it at the old Auckland Racing Club nursery if that helps.

Cheers, Todd

Comments (12)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Argh, that @#%*! Ortgeisia alliance again!

Read the article below. If it's a species, it falls into section 2. I'd say either a form of Ae. cylindrata or a hybrid of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ortgiesia

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Sorry Todd, I have nothing good or worthwhile to add about the ID of your plant. But...

Ha ha, good thing I didn't post asking about this one Lisa!

{{gwi:490884}}

But I thought it was a neat color combo with the three different colors of the bracts, sepals, and petals.

• brom_todd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lol, fair enough - had a feeling it was going to end up as a cylindrata hybrid 'ofsomesort'. At least on this shopping trip I only ended up with one Noid. s l o w l y learning.. ;-)

The ortgiesia article was interesting, but now has me questioning another of mine which had been named as a form of comata. Further down the slippery slope :-s

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Todd,

Judging by my Ae. cylindrata I'd say that's what it is.

My Ae. cylindrata for comparison.

{{gwi:490885}}

All the best, Nev.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Yikes, Andy! That looks like section 1, but doesn't match any of those species, so I'm thinking hybrid. Of what and what is another story. This group intergrades and interbreeds so easily it can be really hard to nail them down sometimes.

One of my earliest "hybridizing" experiments was to rub the flowers of Ae. gamosepala and what I presume was kertesziae together and plant the seeds. These things self too, so I don't know that they all crossed, but I got a whole rainbow of pinks, oranges, yellows, whites, and different shades of blue. I know others who have done the same, either intentionally or just idly collecting seeds that insects may have pollinated. They're easy to grow from seed, so there likely are tons of these unnamed, unpedigreed offspring floating around and informally changing hands. Trying to ID one against a limited set of named cvs. on FCBS is a joke. You have to keep reminding yourself that much of what is being grown is not going to be on there.

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Oh, oh, oh...I found a lead. Sorry for hijacking this post Todd, but with the petal color what do you guys think about mine being a Quesmea 'Amanda' or 'Amanda Too'?

And Todd, how big is your plant you know as comata, size might help tell whether it is a hybrid or not...most of the ortgiesias (at least that I have been exposed to) with a compact inflorescence are quite a bit smaller than what I know as comata.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Sorry, thumbs down on the Amandas, Andy. Look at those little spiky green appendages on the sepals of your plant, then look at Amanda. She no mo' get! (pardon my pidgin) ;-)

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Yeah, after I got all excited I went out and looked at the color as the flowers opened more...I got pretty suspicious simply by that. But it was fun to get me all excited about possibly getting an ID. Guess it'll just go back into the 'Ortgiesis X' category.

• brom_todd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi sdandy,
    bit of a slow reply - I'm in oz at the mo, borrowing connections,laptops etc
    The one I'm now questioning was labelled A. comata Makoyana, but I'm pretty sure it's a form of caudata instead - inflorescence branched at the base. I have A. caudata, and variegated and albomarginated forms of it too, but the one in question is much taller with leaves around a metre long, finely striped and quite narrow. A distinctive feature is that the pups have a reddish tinge on the heel. The plant does look a lot like the A. comata Makoyana pic on fcbs photo index, but bigger.
    Is anyone here familiar with the differences between A. caudata var. variegata and A. caudata variegated?
    Cheers, Todd

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Hmmm, the size and branched inflorescence sounds caudata-like, but with narrow leaves? And sending out reddish pups? Caudata should have much wider and round/blunt tips and I would describe as 'softer' than the Makoyana. The big beast that I think of as caudata could be another plant in that group, but it is quite a bit bigger than comata Makoyana. I would compare and describe Makoyana leaves to distichantha--stiff, pointy, and sharp as h@*$! Does your plant have spines along the length of the leaf? Wonder if it could be a Makoyana x caudata and keep the reddish pups? Post a picture when you get a chance, sounds like quite a plant.
    -andy

• brom_todd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for that Andy. It doesn't have sharp, stiff leaves.It has wee curved teeth along the leaf edges, but nothing too serious - I'll post some pics when I'm back home early next week.
    Cheers, Todd

• brom_todd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, back at home - no more holidaying :-(
    Here are some pics I have which I hope help identify what it is:
    {{gwi:490886}}

{{gwi:490887}}
    The petals are yellow - didn't manage to get a good shot of them open though.

{{gwi:490888}}

Unfortunately, none of the pups which have appeared through Winter have the reddish tinge I mentioned earlier. It could be that's a result of higher temperatures/light levels (?)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks
More Discussions