Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

The changing faces of Ae. Recurvata

splinter1804
14 years ago

Hi all,

I love this time of the year when my original recurvatas all start to colour up, and I thought I would share them with you all.

{{gwi:490946}}

{{gwi:490948}}

{{gwi:490950}}

{{gwi:490951}}

{{gwi:490952}}

{{gwi:490953}}

{{gwi:490954}}

{{gwi:490955}}

{{gwi:490956}}

{{gwi:490957}}

{{gwi:490958}}

Not forgetting 'Blushing Pineapple'

{{gwi:490959}}

All the best, Nev.

Comments (4)

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Really nice, Nev! I noticed mine coming into flower also, but it doesn't have the ammount of blush that yours has. They look like they get fairly high light? I might introduce mine to a bit more and see what I can get out of them.
    Thanks for sharing and showing us whats possible.
    BA

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Nev, you're getting some great colour in those. That fiery red in particular is such a standout in the garden and I just love 'Blushing Pineapple' - what is it?

Thanks for showing them. Cheers, Paul

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Those are fabulous, Nev! I love the recurvatas too, and they can take full sun. They usually bloom around Christmas time here, and often there's another flush a couple of months later, in early spring.

Here's a few pics I took in January. First, just plain old recurvata v. benrathii, not too showy:

{{gwi:490961}}

DeeDee:

{{gwi:490962}}

Volcanic:
    {{gwi:490963}}

The above two were among some I got from Mike Kashkin in California. I think those are his names, I'm not sure if they're legitimate or not.

Below are just a couple of seedling ones I got from crossing them all every which way. I don't even remember which ones were the parents of the first one, but I was surprised when some of them came out yellow or orange, since none that I had were that color.

{{gwi:490964}}

The second one has Sueños in it, I know that much, but I don't remember the other parent.
    {{gwi:490965}}

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Sorry brom_adorer and Paul I forgot to answer your questions.

Firstly brom_adorer; all of my garden recurvatas are growing in the open where they can receive maximum uninterupted light for as long as possible.

This is usually from about 1100hrs 'til 1600hrs at this time of the year with much more in the hotter weather.

They are fully exposed to the hot midday and late afternoon sun and they appear to love it.

I have one garden bed where I have increased the reflected light by adding a mulch of white pebbles around the plants and this caused them to colour up earlier than the others, (see pics 1-5)

Paul; Blushing Pineapple is one I bought with a few other plants and the name tag simply said Ae. recurvata "Blushing Pineapple". Probably just a recurvata CV and one of many, many unregistered names. Sorry, I don't have any more info.

Sorry for the late replies, all the best, Nev.