Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob740

Pineapple, [leaf growth]

bob740
17 years ago

Hi all, a pic that shows how growing conditions change plant growth. The lower leaves are long and thin,representing the low-light of indoor winter growth under lights,and new colorful top leaves,short and wide, the result of outdoor sun,and looking a lot more healthy. Lisa often talks of growing conditions,and how they change appearences,and I thought this a good example.

I picked this plant? up in a local grocery store,it was just an inflorecence stalk,with a small pineapple at the top,and was part of a display of Hawaiian flowers.I seperated the pineapple top from the stalk and planted it in moist soil and perlite, and this is it,in its third year now. Bob

{{gwi:459619}}

Comments (14)

• Patris
    17 years ago

Gorgeous plant! I did not know that pineapple plants would have varigated leaves. I have 2 solid green plants I started from cutting tops and one is about 3 feet tall now.

Have a question, do pineapple plants pup like most bromeliads? Mine has only gotten taller and wider.
    Patris

• bob740
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Patris, I'm not a pinapple pro,but I believe they do not pup like other broms do,as between their leaves,or at the base of the plant.But they can produce multiple pups from the base of the pineapple fruit itself, atop the infrorescence stalk,as well as one atop the pineapple, that we use to start a new plant.I've seen photos of this. I'm not sure if those smaller base pups can be used to start a new plant,never had the chance to try it. Perhaps our 'Hawaii Lisa' can add something to this. Bob

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

Ananas will pup at the base too, in addition to the ones on the stalk and the crowns of the fruit. You can start them all. See the link for more details.

Bob, maybe you should clarify that your variegated plant is not the common "grocery store" pineapple, but an ornamental species. I get all the names mixed up but there are a number of variegated Ananas cultivars. Very nice, BTW, and you really can see the difference good light makes!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pineapple production

• Patris
    17 years ago

Thank you both for the info. great reading. Looks like I have something to look forward to with both my pineapple plants!!

Now next question: where would I get a plant like Bob's??
    I have never seen one like that before and I just love varigated anythings.
    Patris

• bob740
    Original Author
    17 years ago

patris,as you can see,Lisa knows her bromeliads,and I learned something too. And to clarify, the plant I grew was not the 'common' form,but was in a Hawaiian flower bouquet.You won't find it among pineapples at the grocery store.Its an ornamental plant more than for fruit production.The varigated ones have a few names;
    A.bracteatus Var.striatus;A.comosus Var.variegatus;A.bracteatus Var.tricolor.The names may be different,but to me,they look the same,green and white varigation,turning pink in good light.However there are spineless,as well as spined leaved varieties.Thats about it,I think. Bob

• scaldude
    17 years ago

Patris & bob740,

My pineapple cutting has not only produced fruit, but it has two pups at the base and also one very large pup between leafs.

{{gwi:484568}}

{{gwi:487584}}

• bob740
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Boy,do I stand corrected...pups all over the place! scaldude,with luck like that,you should start your own plantation and give Dole a little competition. He'd likely offer to buy you out.

• Patris
    17 years ago

Thanks Bob for the names. I can do a search and see what I can come up with.

Beautiful pineapple dude. Mine has done nothing in the way of producing fruit. Just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Is there such a thing as male and female in the pineapple world?
    Patris

• scaldude
    17 years ago

bob740,

Yeah, I think my plantation is off to a good start. LOL

patris,

I don't think these bromelaids NEED separate sexes since they reproduce so easily.

{{gwi:446512}}

Have patience, my plant didn't produce a bloom until it had a 3' span back in March. This is a monster of a plant...FYI that is an 18" terra cotta pot! Watch-out Mr. Dole!

I understand it could take 8 months for my pineapple to ripen. So even after it blooms, the wait continues...sooooo cruel.

• Patris
    17 years ago

Mine is about that big now!!! That's why I was sure it would give me a pineapple this season. Oh well, I shall wait some more. LOL

Wow, 8 months to ripen you really have to have patience for this plant. I wonder since mine is in a greenhouse and we don't have much in the way of winter if this plant would have a pineapple this year. Do they only bloom in the spring?
    Patris

• scaldude
    17 years ago

Like you, this is all new to me.

Mine bloomed in March on it's own, but there is a way to force the blooming.

Slice a ripe apple (yes, just a regular apple) and place it in the pot with your plant, a gas is released by the apple that your plant reacts to that makes it bloom. Cover the plant & apple with a large plastic bag for a few days to contain this gas. Remove the bag and discard the apple and you should be on your way...please post your results.

Good luck.

• mikevanecek
    17 years ago

Forced pines will be smaller than pines that come on their own time. If you want larger pines, be patient and treat the plant good and let it come when the plant is ready.

Cheers,
    Mike

• phantome
    17 years ago

So if my pineapple plants blooms and fruits, it won't kill my plant? It's about three years old and has a span of three and a half feet. It's interesting to get through the door in the fall. I wondered what was growing at the base. Now I'm going to have to find room for a third pineapple.

• scaldude
    17 years ago

It is my understanding that the main plant will fruit only once and it reproduces by creating these "pups". The pups can be seperated and grown individually...fruit once...create more pups...and you get a plantation.

I just wish my investments would quadruple every 2 years! LOL

Sponsored
More Discussions