Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephania_gw

'Naked Lady'

stephania
17 years ago

Hi all, I would like to know, how big she can reach ?

My Dyckia 'Naked Lady' is now neary 2 feet wide, fortunately, she has no spines !!

{{gwi:436356}}

Comments (13)

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

Wow, I had no idea it could get that big! I though 'Naked Lady' was a small plant.

• User
    17 years ago

THAT'S a Dyckia??? Outstanding to say the least. Stephania, is it the same as 'Nude Lady'? That's a plant that'd be right at home in my collection.

• bob740
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    I've wondered about that too.I think I read somewhere that its the same plant.The 'Naked Lady' on fcbs looks silver,whereas Stephania's is green.I ordered 'Nude Lady' from Michaels,and its lime green,about 8" wide.[no pic will be shown,as it would look like an offset of Stephania's giant].But it sure looks like the same plant.
    How big can she reach ? Stephania,you will be the one to tell us! Bob

• stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I feed her too much !!

Yes, it should be the same with 'Nude Lady' as the way 'Moon Glow', 'Sun Glow' of Dyckia 'Yellow Glow' have been called.

Bob, actually, the pic in FCBS is black/white that makes a mistake at my first glance too.

Because her nudity, she is a great pup-shooter !! at least 20 right now.

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

Lime green is the color and usually grows to over a foot tall and for some reason Seaborne listed it as altissima X sulfurea and called naked lady

• bob740
    17 years ago

HDD..interesting info.[altissimaXsulfurea] and [nude lady]Do you know if that was an official regristration,or was it just his own opinion/'listing'? I find no fcbs info on either D.altissima,nor D.sulfurea. But that does'nt mean much. I have Bill Seaborn's book,'Bromeliads',but nothing mentioned there. Do you have any more info ? Bob

Stephania ! Get that plant on a DIET,or it will have clogged arteries,and high chlorophyl pressure !!
    Doctor Bob

• stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

FCBS mentioned Dyckia 'Naked Lady' as a hybrid of D.encholirioedes x D.brevifolia. I found in some references that D.altissima is a synonym for D. encholirioedes and D. sulfurea for D.brevifolia. So, I think we talk about the same 'Lady' and even she 'Nude' or 'Nake'

And Thank Doctor Bob...LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyckia encholirioides

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

From the Bromeliad Cultivar Registry (1998):

"Naked Lady (Nude Lady)
    cv. of encholirioides x brevifolia - This cultivar has spineless glossy green leaves - grows to over 1' tall - Seaborn listed the plant as altissima x sulfurea(?) and called it 'Nude Lady'.
    JBS 22:83, KentCat1979, SDDN1968, PineapplePl 81, TF1980, MB1998, T.O'Reilly1998"

So it does seem to be the same plant (that last part lists all of the references, catalogs etc. that mention the name). Both of those species are fairly small, though, aren't they? How did 'Naked Lady' get to be so big?

BTW, I wish I had a dime for every time I've heard that! ;-)

• stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oop...sorry, wrong spelling, it should be as your, Lisa, Dyckia encholirioides. And thanks for the informations.

Actually, I noticed that, on some leaves, they still appear a single or an only few 'spine' at the leaf's margin.

May be our hot tropical climate all year round in Thailand cause her a giant 'Lady'

• bob740
    17 years ago

Well,thats some good info there,Lisa and Stephania. I found photos of sulfurea [Like any other spiney dyckia,and light green],and I have altissima [from Yucca Do; see www.yuccado.com] .They both are very spiney,so how did crossing them come up spineless? [except stephania's with a few spines] Is a puzzlement ! Bob

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

It was undoubtedly just a freak, Bob, a single spineless seedling out of the lot. Kind of like getting a variegated seedling from two green parents. One little chromosome gets shifted and all of a sudden you've got yourself something completely different.

Maybe it's the steady diet of Pad Thai that is making Naked Lady so big. It does that for me too!

• bihai
    17 years ago

I have had Naked Lady for about 5 years. I have 2 plants, both have been slow growing for me. They are nowhere NEAR the size of Stephania's MONSTERS! Something to strive for!

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Did this ever flower? I'd love to see some pics.

Sponsored
More Discussions