Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on A. pectinata seedlings

Posted by brodklop (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 23:24

I have grown these pectinata seedlings and some are white.
My question is will these turn into variegated plants or will they remain as albino and not really prosper.
What has been other peoples experience with these.

Cheers

Brod

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on A. pectinata seedlings

Hi Brod,
I've always found that white seedlings die once they've used up the food within the seed - no way to photosynthesis etc.

The green ones are looking very healthy though :-)

Cheers, Todd

o

Brod, was the mother plant just a plain green pectinata? I ask because unless the mother was a variegate, it's hard to figure out where the albinism could have come from.

I agree with Todd, though. Totally white seedlings generally die off very quickly, and won't become variegates.

o

Thanks guys for your comments.
The mother was a normal green pectinata I believe, a friend gave me the seed from his plant.He is in the US at the moment so I cant ask him. I'll let them die a natural death, they aren't taking up much space as yet.

Cheers

Brod

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here