Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaclv

Close-up Quiz II

LisaCLV
14 years ago

Back by popular demand! ;-)

Just 10 this time, as requested by Andy. A mixture of (hopefully) easy and challenging ones, species and hybrids. Nothing you've never heard of and no freak occurances, but a couple of the views may not be something you would normally notice or associate with the plant.

Let's see how you do:

#1)

{{gwi:491425}}

#2)

{{gwi:491426}}

#3)

{{gwi:491427}}

#4)

{{gwi:491428}}

#5)

{{gwi:491429}}

#6)

{{gwi:491430}}

#7)

{{gwi:491431}}

#8)

{{gwi:491432}}

#9)

{{gwi:491433}}

#10)

{{gwi:491434}}

Comments (24)

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Thanks Lisa! Although it still doesn't help me too much. But I should probably at least venture a couple of guesses since you obliged (attempting to) make it easier...even if I don't get any right.

1)N. marmorata or hybrid of (maybe with spectabilis?)
    2)don't care what it is, I like it!
    3)some concentrica?
    4)N. pascoaliana?
    5)A. tayoensis
    6)N. 'Amazing Grace'?
    8)Ananas variegata?
    10)N. De Rolf

• LisaCLV
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You got some right, Andy, but I'm not going to say which or how many until some others have had a chance. ;-)

• bromadams
    14 years ago

#2 is Vr. fenistralis

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Oh geeze, now I'm second guessing myself. Now I'm thinking 6 or 7 could be either A. Red Ribbon or something along those lines (no pun intended). But I'll just be happy I got something right...

• neomea
    14 years ago

Ok

1. Neo c-a
    2.V.fenestralis
    3. Njohannis
    4.struggling with this one
    5. A.tayoensis
    6.N.Amazing G
    7.N Shelldance
    8.looks like an Ananus
    9.A.ensign?
    10.N de Rolf

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Ok, here we go! Some long shots included (#3) but #8 I am not even going to try!

#1 - Neo correia-araujoi
    #2 - Vr fenestralis
    #3 - Neo joh x DeRolf
    #4 - Neo pascoaliana
    #5 - Ae tayoensis
    #6 - Ae Red Ribbons
    #7 - Neo Shelldance
    #8 -
    #9 - Vr Galaxy
    #10 - Neo DeRolf

Japie

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

My turn!

#1 - Neoregelia correia-araujoi [co-ray-uh.....uh-row(like cow)- zsa zsa gabor-eye eye cap'n!]
    #2 - Vriesea fenestralis
    #3 - ummm.....Neoregelia olens 'Vulcan' ??
    #4 - Neoregelia pascoaliana
    #5 - Aechmea tayoensis
    #6 - Neoregelia 'Pinstripe'
    #7 - Neoregelia 'Shelldance'
    #8 - Ananas comosus var. bracteatus
    #9 - Vriesea 'Galaxy' (and I didn't copy Japie - I already thought that one - we're prob both wrong!)
    #10 - Neoregelia 'DeRolf'

Kerry :)

• devo_2006
    14 years ago

OK, hereÂs my pick.

#1 Neo. correia-araujoi
    #2 LisaÂs Vr. Fenestralis
    #3 This one is really bugging me...seems to have that neo concentrica trait thing going on again, but the leaf tip doesn't fit??? Anyway...I'll take a stab at Neo. Royal Robe.
    #4 Neo pascoliana, thanks to Andy.
    #5 Aech. tayoensis. Wish we could grow them here!
    #6 Striated neo? I agree with Kerry it's Pinstripe.
    #7 Neo. Shelldance
    #8 DonÂt know, but IÂll guess Bromelia just to be different.
    #9 Vr. Galaxy. (and I didn't copy Japie or Kerry, true story..we had a great photo of it in our last journal)
    #10 Neo. De Rolf.

• matt15
    14 years ago

1.) Neo Correia-Araujoi
    9.) Neo Fever
    10.) Neo DeRolf

No idea about the others.

• LisaCLV
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, there seems to be a lot of agreement here, and most of it is correct. Because several of you answered Vr. 'Galaxy' for #9, I had to go look it up, and I think you guys are right. I got my plant tagged as Vr. 'Splendide' variegated, but it doesn't match the FCBS photo, plus it has grass pups like glutinosa. Galaxy's pic looks like a dead ringer, so it's off to change my tags!

There also seems to be a general consensus on 1,2,4,5,7 & 10. Everyone who copied Japie's answers for those (yeah, I'm lookin' at you, Kerry ;-)) or arrived at them independently are right on the money.

Which leaves the ones I knew would be the toughies: 3, 6 and 8. I almost didn't include #3 because I didn't expect anyone to get it. Clue: it's not a Neo! If any of you have this plant, you've probably paid much more attention to the flower than the foliage.

#6 is tricky because the markings shown are not the ones that you would notice first, and don't even appear on every leaf. They're there often enough that I thought it was fair, but there's more going on that you're not seeing. You really have to think outside the box for this one, and so far nobody has got the right genus. Clue: the cv. is a woman's name, and I know some of you have her.

I didn't think #8 would be quite so hard, but I suspect this one may be less familiar to some of you. Clue: not Ananas or Bromelia, but it is a terrestrial species (think small).

I'll give it a while longer, and then all will be revealed......

• devo_2006
    14 years ago

#8 Dyckia Dakota

Now #6 is bugging me...

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Ok, I'll bite again. I thought #3 could be an Aechmea, but I can't think of one specific (lots of mine have spots like that...but probably not supposed to...), so I'll throw out a wild swing at Hohenbergia stellata instead.

#6 a Billbergia? Don't know them enough to guess any further than that.

• LisaCLV
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Right genus on #6, Andy. You're getting warmer on #3, but try another closely related genus. I have a feeling nobody's going to get that one. The inflorescence is red and purple, if that helps.

Andrew, instead of DD, try CC......

I'll give all of the answers tomorrow if nobody gets them by then.

• frangipani_56
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    Is #6 a cryptanthus crassifolius
    Cheers Fran

• frangipani_56
    14 years ago

I meant #8 not #6.
    Cheers Fran

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Well, I'll be damned!

Nr 6 : Bill Dorothy Berg

• devo_2006
    14 years ago

Ah haÂso # 8 is CC not DD, that makes it easierÂIÂve got it nowÂno waitÂI still donÂt have itÂbut Frans got #6Âno waitÂsheÂs got #8Âphew.

And I think Japie may well have cracked #6. All I could think of was GuzmaniaÂbut there were way too many woman cvÂs in there for me.

So that just leaves us with that rascal #3 !

• devo_2006
    14 years ago

#3 Portea alatisepala

• anniesam
    14 years ago

ok probably way off but is no.3 a portea?
    Tamera

• LisaCLV
    Original Author
    14 years ago

All right! Andrew's got #3, Japie's got #6, and Fran's got half of #8. That should narrow it down...

• devo_2006
    14 years ago

#8 Cryptanthus colnagoi thanks to FCBS. Never grown any Crypt's...may be one day...

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Well i am no good at this but i think No 6 is Nidularium 'Ruby Lee' No 3 is a total mystery to me Jack

• udo69
    14 years ago

Hello All,

He He He!!! I'm coming late. So many people here answer the questions. I don't want to copy all answers. I'm so stupid ;-) This quiz are more difficult to guess than the previous.

Lisa I'm waiting your answers and also next quiz.

Cheers
    Yong

• LisaCLV
    Original Author
    14 years ago

*whew*

Okay, you got it, Andrew. I guess nobody else here is growing Crypt. colnagoi, I thought it was fairly common. You can all pat yourselves on the back, hope you didn't bust a brain cell! Let me know when you're ready for the next one. ;-)

The answers in order are:

#1) Neo. correia-araujoi
    #2) Vr. fenestralis
    #3) Portea alatisepala
    #4) Neo. pascoaliana
    #5) Ae. tayoensis
    #6) Bill. 'Dorothy Berg'
    #7) Neo. 'Shelldance'
    #8) Crypt. colnagoi
    #9) Vr. 'Galaxy'
    #10) Neo. johannis 'DeRolf'