Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Puya venusta rotted

Posted by wantonamara 8bTx (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 23:40

I had some yellow/white mushroom like fungus start growing from the base of my Puya and now it has lost its top really quickly. after ripping off its top leaf by leaf, there is some hard plant at the ground level. Should I just toss it dirt and all in the trash or shall I dig out the plant , shake the soil off the roots, dip it in fungecide and put it in new dirt? I did put some fungicide on the pot already. I removed it from the other plants. I have never had this happen before. It has been during a 2 months of 100 degree weather in Texas. I was probably watering it once a week. It was in part shade. The other puya is AOK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Puya venusta rotted

Hi wantonamara

This is just a fungus that is not harmful to your plant.

Your plant is probably in a humus rich, moist soil ??,
hence the mushrooms, it would be best in a more sandy type mix for better drainage & in full sun with good air circulation.

Pinkbroms

o

The soil was not that moist but it did have rocks on top that might have slowed down the evaporation enough. We did have a rain about a week ago that might have got it started. I read that Puyas liked RICH dry soil so I gave it potting soil instead of cactus soil. The puya without rocks on top right next to it is fine. I have changed both their soils. I am very hesitant about putting things out in full sun in Texas during the kind of drought we are having. but I will give them more. We are having our first cool front . Highs below onehindred. I woke up to the sound of NO AC!!!! YEA. Thankyou.

o

I dont know if it is the same but i had a guzmania that rotted pretty badly from overwatering (my bad!)that seemed completely dead.Was i wrong!I didnt throw it away just moved it in another place and forgot about it...It gave me 3 healthy pups after 4 months of nothingness(...)!I was stunned!you might get lucky too!

o

Hi angellilly

I think you just learnt the lesson I've been telling people here in Aus. re their heavy water restrictions they have been on. A lot of their plants are still surviving even with-out a lot of watering, so don't over do it & waste water. Well done.

Pinkbroms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here