• marleneann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

...and number 2 a mini.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• rickta66
    13 years ago

Marlene,

#2 looks like Neo. olens or a hybrid of it.

Rick

• bromadams
    13 years ago

I'd vote for N. uleana.

{{gwi:491677}}

• dooleybugs01
    13 years ago

Marlene,
    The first one i am not sure. Have you seen it flower? Because at first i thought a neo but now i am thinking of others. Maybe repost when it flowers.
    The second one i am with rick and i am thinking olens. Not sure about n. uleana as there is no picture on the fcbs to compare with.
    Dooley.

• marleneann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dooleybugs ...no it hasn't flowered. Just bought it.
    Thanks to all who replied.
    I may have to wait until it flowers.

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

Some how I got the impression that uleana was a mis spelled name of olens sold in Florida many years ago and isn't an actual a stand alone name.

• matt15
    13 years ago

I'm with Rick on #2 being an Olens hybrid. There seem to be many simular neo's which have been getting around the SouthEast corner of Qld for some years now with no confirmed name.

• marleneann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Was that the one... because of the confusion... given the name "Yuletide"?

• pinkbroms
    13 years ago

Hi Guys

Bromadams have you any history on your Neo. uleana.

hotdiggetydam, Neo. uleana was a plant being sold by Tropiflora, this dubious plant ended up being called Neo.'Yuletide'. However bromadams plant named uleana appears to match a plant we have here better with that name which seems to have no pedigree & is considered an unknown hybrid. UD says "it has no features to put it in demand as a cultivar, dare I suggest you bin it". We now refer to our Neo. uleana as Neo. Ulanfil.

Check Neo. Yuletide on FCBS & read UD Says.

Dooleybug, the photo of Neo. uleana was removed from FCBS because it was incorrect.

Pinkbroms

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

I don't know how Yuletide was referenced to uleana I don't see the connection. The 'Tom Wolfe' photo on FCBS looks more like what we are talking about.

• bromadams
    13 years ago

A lot of us in South Florida have uleana and I don't know anybody who is changing the name. I'm not going to start calling it something else.

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

"We now refer to our Neo. uleana as Neo. Ulanfil."

Hehe.... a bit extreme, perhaps, but it's true there are lots of look-alike olens hybrids floating around, and this is probably one of them, as is Marleneann's plant. Whether or not they are the same is pretty hard to tell.

As to its renaming, I came across both versions mentioned here, so I'm a bit confused. As HDD says, if you look up Neo. Tom Wolfe on FCBS, you'll find the following comment: "Sold by this Nursery in Tampa FL. in the late 1990's as uleana. This species is little known and of doubtful origin-discovered in Rio Bot. Garden in 1896! In all probability this is a mis-spelling of olens hybrid where it has clear links." This is presumably attributed to Uncle D, as he is listed as the namer.

But then on the Aussie brom site (link below) you'll find the story of a plant tagged uleana being renamed Yuletide-- also by UD! This raises the question of whether the Florida uleana and the Aussie version are/were the same clone, and if so, did Derek suffer a memory lapse? The pictures do look slightly different, but not so much that growing conditions couldn't account for it.

Additionally, the Yuletide name is confusing, since there is also a Freeman/Golinski hybrid named that. I have to admit the name similarity was lost on me at first, since I would pronounce the species oo-lee-ah-na, not yoo-lee etc.

At any rate, the general consensus seems to be that whatever is in circulation is probably not the true species. I don't have the plant, but looking at the pics, I think I might be inclined to go along with the landfill suggestion. At least it would eliminate the confusion!

Here is a link that might be useful: Neo uleana/Yuletide

• pinkbroms
    13 years ago

Hi Guys

We went through all that uleana/Yuletide stuff mid last year when we came across plants with that name here, this plant didn't match S&D description so we came to the same hybrid conclusion & decided our plant would fit better as Neo. Ulanfil, our plant is slightly different & not as nice as bromadams, unfortunately there seems to be a lot of different uleana's getting around.

Pinkbroms

• matt15
    13 years ago

Here's a number of photos of my believed N. Olens hybrids some of which i've posted here before. The closest name I've considered is 'Noble Descent' and I've never had Neo uleana/Yuletide offered.
    Marlene's neo looks very simular to mine. Whilst none of the photos show the flowers, I recall them to be a lilac/purple colour.

{{gwi:491679}}

{{gwi:491681}}

{{gwi:491684}}

{{gwi:491685}}

{{gwi:491688}}

{{gwi:491690}}

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!