Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
two_brown_thumbs

Is there any hope for my poor pineapple?

two_brown_thumbs
14 years ago

On a whim, I cut the top off of a pineapple, and managed to get it to grow roots in moist sand. I transplanted it to a fairly large container, and the outer leaves turned a healthy deep green. It seemed to be doing well at first, but the tips have been browning and now the inner "core" leaves all seem to be dead.

I haven't seen any sign whatsoever of new growth in the crown/core, and aside from the deep green outer leaves, I'd swear the poor thing is dead. I have been very careful not to water the crown/core, since pineapples don't care for that and will rot.

Is there anything I can do to help it, or is it too late?

Comments (6)

• angellilly
    14 years ago

My pineapple did the same when i transplanted it;it was january and even though it was indoors it rotted,only few green leaves left and basically the whole thing looked dead.i lost my interest in it and left it alone.the plant didnt give up,4 months later(springtime)i decided to use the pot for some calla bulbs but i saw 2 pups from the previously dead plant!as long as it roots are intact you may have a chance of saving it!
    the plant now: {{gwi:491778}}
    the spiny one is i think a queen pineapple

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi two brown thumbs,

Never give up, as angellilly's pic shows, Brom's are very resilient and the great survivers.

I once had a badly cold damaged small plant of Ae. Miniata discolour with all the leaves brown and cold burnt; deciding it was beyond help, I threw it onto the compost heap.

Some months later when I was tidying up the compost heap, I found this small brown stump beneath all the other rubbish (the remains of the plant).

It had a tiny inflorescence poking out the top with five little deformed buds on it and a tiny twisted pup emerging from the stump.

This was its last desperate attempt to reproduce itself before it died.

Ain't nature grand.

All the best, Nev.

• nebu
    14 years ago

that looks like three plants. If so, maybe separate them into three separate containers.

Also, that doesn't look too bad. With newly potted pups or pineapple plants you might want to put them in a shady spot to establish roots for about 3 weeks.

After that make sure it gets as much direct sun you can give it.

Let the dirt dry before each watering.

{{gwi:491780}}

-Nick

• angellilly
    14 years ago

a late reply:yes they are 3 plants;however the smallest is a queen pineapple as you can see from the spines on its leaves.the bigger plants are pups that grew from the rotten crown.

• two_brown_thumbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just as a followup, the pineapple had rotted completely away at its core and all its leaves fell off; I threw it in the trash months ago. :(

• angellilly
    14 years ago

sorry to hear that two_brown_thumbs;i know its a long process but you can start another one from a top!and i think now is a good time so they will take off when summer comes! :-D

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions
More Discussions