Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dashgogo

Identification: Billbergias (I think)

dashgogo
14 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this- my first picture upload attempt. I have a small collection now, and I have taken a liking to billbergias in particular, problem is, I am not to great at identification. Below are some plants, a couple of which I have not seen flower, so am not sure if they are even billbergias or not. Any help would be great.

1) Picked up at a market:

{{gwi:492367}}

{{gwi:492369}}

2) Same market:

{{gwi:492370}}

3) This one looks a bit simple, but I liked the shape, I bought it from Bromagic in QLD. It wasn't marked- I should have asked.

{{gwi:492371}}

4) This one is a bit raggy looking, but I liked the pattern on the leaves, hopefully I can grow a pup that looks a little healthier:

{{gwi:492372}}

{{gwi:492373}}

5)I don't know what this is, had a few things going on with the leaves though.

{{gwi:492375}}

{{gwi:492377}}

Thanks a bundle.

Comments (6)

• rickta66
    14 years ago

dashgogo,

#1 looks like one I've got, I think it is a Vittata hyb possibly Bill. Buchholtzii.

#2 looks a little like my Bill. Othello. or maybe Bill. Muriel Waterman.

#5 is varigated, it could be a varigated Neo. Spectabilis.

Cheers,

Rick

• dashgogo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ahhh. Thanks, I'm convinced #2 is a Muriel Waterman now, having checked the index. And number #1 must certainly be a Vittata hyb. Though it looks a lot more like the original Vittata then Buchholtzii, it's quite grey, both the top and bottom of the leaves.

I thought number #5 was a neo as well but the woman at a sale a bought it from convinced me it produced a 'white flower', on a long stem. But she may have just been trying to have me buy it.

Will either of these self-set seed to the best of any one's knowledge? From wha I have heard so far it is unlikely. I desperatley just want to have a go at growing some Billbergias, any Billbergia, from seed.

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Dashgogo,

If your number one is the same as mine - it can be quite variable depending on where it is grown, mine goes a nice bronze colour in sun and lime green in shade and varies in size between 40cm and 70cm.

{{gwi:491623}}

Growing Bills from seed is a lot of fun, I have only been growing them for about a year. I have found them pretty forgiving to practice with. You can emaciate your flower (pull off the stamen) if you are worried about self pollination.

Cheers,

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: FCBS NOTES FOR THE HYBRIDIST

• dashgogo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What about some kind of Distachia for number 3? It's the best match I've found so far.

• dashgogo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ahhh I think I just made a discovery... #3 was not 'labelled' but had a tag with a number '7' on it. In the species list on the FCBS index distachia is number 7 on the list...

Would this sound right? Or is that just a strange happenstance?

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Dash,

You may be right, you could call Bromagic #7 might be used for their records.

I would put Distachia?? on the tag and check it again when it flowers.

Rick

Sponsored
More Discussions