14 years ago

Billbergia Domingos Martins?

Tomas

{{gwi:493036}}

{{gwi:493037}}

Comments (8)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

I think so, Tomas. It could also be a hybrid, but the flower does look right for DM.

• tomas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Lisa. I found this in a small florist shop in a small city in the Czech Repubblic last year. The lady gave it to me, she did not want to sell it as she was about to toss it away as the flowering was over. Isn't it a strange place to find such a famous plant or at least it's close parent?

Tomas

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Tomas, for me I would say its probably a hybrid. Bill' Domingos Martins' generally makes a very tight upright tube that does not flare out at the top ,BUT it may have been a bit shady where it was grown,it is quite dominant in its breeding, i will admit there are several clones here in Oz and they vary a bit,but do not flare out ,the flowers are about right ,but most hybrids from this plant seem to inherit them anyway ,and F2 plants do vary a bit as well,I would suggest that you grow the plant with strong light and see how the pup develops ,at this stage i would label the plant as Bill'Domingos Martins'x ? it looks quite nice and you do find plants in the strangest places, i found my first Vr.splendens Formosa in a flea market,big plant @ $5.00 and not another Brom in sight ,I had a qty of DM hybrids , the colours varied a bit but the flowers and the shape did not,they where all typical if the tight upright tube , but i grew them in high light.yours is an each way bet untill grown in brighter light ,either way you have had a bargain and got a nice plant,good show ,Bye Jack ,

• tomas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After one year of growing in more intense light, I think, the diagnosis is much easier as Jack said.
    Tomas

{{gwi:493039}}

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Hi Tomas ,

What a differences the high light made didn't it ? i would say its Domingos Martins for sure ,and its well grown ,you have had a bargain ,but yes what was that plant doing in the Florist shop ? Thank you for the follow up posting ,its always nice to see , cheers Tomas
    Jack

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Nicely grown, Tomas, and a bargain indeed! DM is still very much in demand, and because of its slow growth rate, still carries a relatively high price tag. The shop lady probably didn't know what she had.

• tomas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am sure the lady did not know, but what puzzles me is who grew and sold to her a valuable hybrid that for the customer has no value if not flowered (she was about to toss it as without flower it was unsaleable), considering also that the flowering is very short in billbergias.

This is the reverse side of the coin, nobody will grow and sell valuable plants where is no request.

Tomas

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

How it got there is certainly a puzzle, but luckily you were in the right place at the right time to benefit from it!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions