Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_t23

Companion plants

paul_t23
14 years ago

Hi everyone, I was just re-reading Nev's post on the Illawarra Brom Soc show and a comment of Kerry's really struck a chord - the one about broms and other plants as companion plants, looking really good together.

Since I'm starting (well, continuing to start) to re-do the front yard, I'm really interested in what other plants people have found to be good in combination with broms out in the garden. Good in terms of looks, and, especially, good in terms of staying looking good together for a few years with next-to-zero upkeep. So, what have you found to be good combinations? In all sorts of different situations?

I'll start with one of my few combos - Neo. marmorata x? with orchid Dendrobium speciosum growing together on a rock shelf at the foot of a big gum tree getting lots of full sun, rain (no watering), falling branches, cockatoo poo and nothing else for about 15 years:

{{gwi:493231}}

Love to see some more combo pics - anything with anything - I need ideas! Cheers, Paul

Comments (14)

• neomea
    14 years ago

Hi Paul

I like broms with orchids as well. See pic below of Platycerium and a mixed bag.

{{gwi:493233}}

Broms go really well with the just-as-colourful crotons and of course palms!!!

{{gwi:493235}}

• rickta66
    14 years ago

I'm with Dennis for crotons and palms.

I think yukkas, grasses like liriope and iris also go well along with ginger's and heliconias but the crown would have to go to a clump of clumping bamboo "BudhaÂs Belly" unfortunately not mine  the photo comes from a BSQ open day at Nigel Thompson and Cheryl BasicÂs place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Budha's Belly

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Paul,

I'm tidying up a few gardens, I think my broms generally look better thinned a little and planted with other plants.

I think Cliveas would look good and do well in your climate.

Rick

{{gwi:493237}}

{{gwi:493240}}

{{gwi:493241}}

{{gwi:493242}}

{{gwi:493243}}

{{gwi:493244}}

{{gwi:493245}}

{{gwi:493246}}

{{gwi:493247}}

• cecilia_chl
    14 years ago

Hi,

I usually grow my broms with plumerias, costus, heliconias, begonias and caladiums. Managed to find some pics from my laptop now, these were taken recently.

{{gwi:493248}}

{{gwi:493249}}

{{gwi:493250}}

• cecilia_chl
    14 years ago

1 more pic,
    {{gwi:493251}}

• cecilia_chl
    14 years ago

An Aechmea Blanchetiana beside plumeria Lurline.
    {{gwi:493252}}

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

I like to plant green things with broms, like birds nest ferns and green ground cover.
    {{gwi:493253}}
    I also like them with palms, agaves, heliconias and colourful foliage plants
    {{gwi:493254}}
    They go well with tree ferns and ferns in general
    {{gwi:493255}}
    Broms go well with other broms
    {{gwi:493256}}

BA

• blue_heeler
    14 years ago

Love that Buddha's Belly combo, drool, drool, drool!!!!

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I love all the different garden ideas, what a mix and match of different colours and plants.

Brom adorer is the plant of Bil. Nutans actually growing on the tree fern, or is it in a pot and attached to the tree fern pot and all?

Cecelia you have a beautiful garden and a pleasure to look at, congratulations!

Also congratulations to Paul for starting such an interesting topic.

Thanks everyone for sharing, all the best, Nev.

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi again, I'm finally managing to catch up after a few days away. Lots of great pics and ideas from everyone! Plenty of food for thought. Cheers, Paul

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Hi all
    Nev, the Billy nutans is in a cocnut fibre basket liner that I tied to the trunk with a stocking. The tree fern has two heads, and the Billy is tucked between the two. I hope that it will eventually grow onto it, preferably before the stocking rots! he he
    I agree celia, your lovely tropical garden is so lush, colourful and vibrant! You have some quite drool-worthy plants there. mmmmmmm
    BA

• cecilia_chl
    14 years ago

Hi,

Thanks! Glad that know that someone out there thinks that my garden is nice. I the only one who is crazy about gardening at home.

Cecilia

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Cecilia, I agree with BA - lovely garden scenes and terrific colours and combinations. To be able to grow Crypts like that is just fantastic, and that large Neo in your 4th last pic, 3 plants back from the de Rolf - the one with the dark leaves and intense red centre and splashes - is that Magali? I wish I could get colour like that in mine.

And Dennis and Rick and BA - great pics and plants as well. Thanks a lot for showing them. I have a lot of work (and fun) ahead of me to make use of some of the ideas you've given me. Cheers, Paul

• cecilia_chl
    14 years ago

Hi Paul,

Yes, that's Magali! This is the only red red neo in my garden.

Crypts are quite easy to grow in our climate.

Cecilia

Sponsored
More Discussions